and am i correct in saying the chinese range is called the affinity range

and do they both use the same raw materials

Are you asking about current production

or the whole history of Squier?

• Members

Originally posted by jerry_picker

Are you asking about current production

or the whole history of Squier?

Some Korean Squiers were splendid (Protones from '96-'98 come to mind.)

There are individual examples of Chinese Affinities and Standards that are incredibly nice for the money (and some not).

• Members

it depends on the guitar

how it comes together during manufacture has alot to do with the final product (obviously)

you would think that they would all be the same coming from the same people/machines but thats not how it goes.

the reason i say that is even with the MIA strats you can take 10 guitars of the same make (lets say deluxe for example) - they may have come from the same factory but one might play better than the rest, one may sound better and one may have more flawless construction. what i do when shopping is take my time and try to find the best.

every now & then you get a strat that came together under perfect conditions where everything lined up tightly, and every worker involved was in a good mood and that axe got alot of TLC through the whole line.

i used to not think too much about this until last year. i am a strat guy and ever since i started playing at age 11 (now 28) ive mostly had strats, and a huge portion of them were MIA deluxes or standards that i handpicked after playing all the local ones for a few days and getting to know them. i have had my share of LPs and other guitars, but i owned mostly strats.

i had some really good ones, some bad ones, and alot of in-between good playing/sounding guitars.

then last year i saved up $1500 and went hunting and played all the local strats at the different stores. i ended up settling for this cool deluxe that just felt like it was a step above the others. but before leaving with it i decided to pick up that pretty lite ash guitar and just see what it was about. unplugged it had this amazing resonance and smooth feel. plugged in it was just something special. i fell in love and knew it was my soul mate as far as guitars go, that "once in a lifetime find". it plays better than most of the strats ive owned and it sounds like i always wanted my strats to. and the finish is perfect, no flaws or blemishes anywhere to be found but to be honest i still would have bought it with a few dings, i love it that much.

now im not saying all lite ash guitars are better than MIA deluxes, because ive played other ash's and they didnt grab me like this one did.

so keep a look out, you never know what you might find if you take the time to play everything.

i know most of the time that the MIA strat is going to come out on top compared to any MIK, MIM, etc. strats, but this time that was not the case.

i will always pay a little more to play the guitars and find the one for me, because if you order you just get the next one in line, and how do you know its not worse than the one they just sold?

Archived