Tinting a Maple top ???

robt57

• Members

Are you talking about tinting the wood, then applying clear coats/transparent coats, or just masking for colors?

I have not tried masking when applying tints directly to the wood. Can't help you there, but somebody at the MIMF may be able to help.

However, I have done masking when applying color coats via spray. For an example, see the ES-Jr. on my website, which is black with curly maple bindings. These weren't faux bindings, but bent wood applied to the body, then masked so that they stay their 'natural' color.

The body was sealed with flake shellac, then a couple clear coats applied. The binding and headstock were masked (a major pain) with the pinstripe tape on the top for the 1/8" thick bindings and masking tape used along the sides of the body. Then the color coats were sprayed, the tape removed, scraped where necessary, and the rest of the clear coats applied.

I know that some builders will seal the bindings with CA glue, painting it on with a small artist's brush, before they fill the pores and/or apply shellac or solvents. This keeps the colors from bleeding on to the binding.

• Members
Originally posted by Paul Buerk

Are you talking about tinting the wood, then applying clear coats/transparent coats, or just masking for colors?

I mean llike the Warmoth 'Natural Wood Binding" seen below only with a tinted top.

natural_binding.jpg

Archived