Does anyone own a Les Paul smartwood guitar?

Chorused Clean

• Members

Originally posted by Chorused Clean

The new studio smartwood looks pretty cool + sustainably harvested woods. Do these Les Pauls have the same over all sustain as their more expensive LP Standard/Custom cousins?

Aren't there more than one "smartwoods"?

Gibson's website says, "Today

• Members

I just sold an '02 Smartwood Studio. Before '02 the bodies were thinner with a body contour cutout in the back. The '02 and newer are the same dimensions as a Standard with 490r/498t pickups. That guitar was sweet. It had a nice neck and sounded as good or better than most Standards. Also pre '02 didn't come with a hard case. Mine had a real nice case covered in hemp cloth with the Gibson logo. I wanted something with a little nore flash so I bought a wine red. The Smartwood was a great guitar but I don't accumulate a lot of gear and if I'm not playing something I don't hold onto it. I may never find one quite as sweet as that one though. Here's a pic.

• Members

I bought one from MF....I didn't like it. This one had some sharp fret ends as well (neck not bound), so I sent it back for a replacement. The 2nd one was much better as far as finish goes, but I just couldn't get it to sound good to me. I kept it for the max time before sending it back, and then finally decided to do so....to each his own....and I'm a HUGE Gibson LP fan....but this one just didn't do it for me.

• Members

Thanks for your replies guys. markas214, did the smartwood have the same weight as your current wine red LP? Also, was the mahogany back as substantial feeling or did it seem like the body was lighter (even though you mention the dimensions are same as the Standards. geddins81, you mentioned that you couldn't get a good sound out of it...what did your guitar sound like? Did it have less/more midrange? bite, treble? Thanks.

• Members

Originally posted by IdaCrue

Here is a picture of the smart wood storage area outside the Gibson Plant:

pallet.bmp

Here is a Gibson employee hauling this wood to the production line:

pallet2.bmp

That sir, is a most awesome post! Not that it carries any prestige whatsoever, but you can consider that the post of the day in my opinion!

• Members

Originally posted by syrinx

A lot of the smartwoods are pretty much hollow too. There is wood around the bridge for a few inches and then its pretty much wide open.

As I posted previously there is a difference from the current models and those prior. The present have the wieght relief holes routed in them just as the Standards do. You can knock on the guitar and hear where the holes are. Primarily in the above the bridge and down.

• Members

Thanks for your replies guys. markas214, did the smartwood have the same weight as your current wine red LP? Also, was the mahogany back as substantial feeling or did it seem like the body was lighter (even though you mention the dimensions are same as the Standards. geddins81, you mentioned that you couldn't get a good sound out of it...what did your guitar sound like? Did it have less/more midrange? bite, treble? Thanks.

By my ears it sounded like a Les Paul. Also the weight was the same. It was,is a Les Paul with different wood for the top, no binding and a thin, but durable satin finish. I would absolutely recommend one.

• Members

if that wood was so smart how the hell did it end up as a guitar...

actually I love the way these things looked.

Ive actually never played one plugged in, so Id love to hear more about what they sound like.

• Members

I've got one of the thin ones from '00. I'm not a huge LP fan, but I really enjoy that guitar. I've got all sorts of guitars, but that is the lightest and most comfortable guitar I own.

I think they're a great alternative to a regular LP if you don't mind a tone that's closer to an SG. A great rock guitar for me.

LesPaul.jpg

• Members

geddins81, you mentioned that you couldn't get a good sound out of it...what did your guitar sound like? Did it have less/more midrange? bite, treble? Thanks.

It didn't have nearly the punch and clarity that my Classic had, especially in the neck position. It was definitely a "thinner" sounding guitar to my ears. My classic had a stock neck pup and a SD Pearly Gates in the bridge, which made for a great tonal range for that guitar IMO.....but hey, the best advice anyone can give you is PLAY one....you may absolutely love it. Remember, we're not all supposed to be in love with the same neck, body, tone, weight....if we were, we'd all be playing Variaxes!!!

• Members

Originally posted by IdaCrue

Here is a picture of the smart wood storage area outside the Gibson Plant:

pallet.bmp

Here is a Gibson employee hauling this wood to the production line:

pallet2.bmp

my ex-girlfriend's father owns the patent on those things.

Archived