jimmy/jimi

musicofthemind9

• Members

his strats were stock, with the stock pickups, they were just "reversed" since he string the guitar to be played lefthanded which does lead to a different vibe because the pole pieces have a certain magnetic pull for each string. he basically flipped that around and it can lead to some slightly different overtones, especially when cranked up

• Members
Originally posted by GretschGuy

believe it or not, back in the bad old days people got good tone without worrying about what their frets and strings were made of, what 'tonewood' the guitar was made of and what kind of cable they used.

:eek: say it ain't so!

you mean Jimi wasn't sitting back in the green room with mitch and noel sayin' "okay guys, close your eyes and tell me what amp I'm playing through and what my guitar is made out of"

• Members

Originally posted by BootRoots
...Jimi wasn't sitting back in the green room with mitch and noel sayin' "okay guys, close your eyes and tell me what amp I'm playing through and what my guitar is made out of"

I've listened to many of his recordings, and I'm sure he used a Gibson on some and a Fender on some, but I can't tell which is which.

Hendrix was famous for using a Strat, but sometimes I wonder if this is only because he happened to die with one in his hand.

• Members

Originally posted by halfpower

I've listened to many of his recordings, and I'm sure he used a Gibson on some and a Fender on some, but I can't tell which is which.

Hendrix was famous for using a Strat, but sometimes I wonder if this is only because he happened to die with one in his hand.

I believe that Red House was recorded with a Flying V.

• Members

Originally posted by halfpower

i dont know man, the strat tone is obviously different from the few songs he used humbuckers on, but yeah, when he used fuzz it gets harder to tell

• Members

Hendrix used Strats and Gibbys, but mostly Strats. Back then, as someone already said, the aftermarket was zilch. There was no internet. You got what your local Sam Ash store had, or local guitar shop, or pawn shop. If you were particular, you went into New York City and had a wider selection. But the wide selection was very limited by today's standards.

Nobody was switching pickups in and out. Nobody was arguing about strings or gauges. Nobody had an electronic quartz guitar tuner. PA's were low powered. So were amps. Solid state electronics and amps were becoming the big thing. Recording was super expensive, and people who did home recording or hobbyist recording always did it live. TEAC reel-to-reels were the state of the art.

Did I mention that the electronics in amps and guitars were very noisy? Hardly anyone knew how the frets were held on to the fretboard of a guitar. I can't remember any of my friends ever, ever making a reference to the tension rod in the neck of a guitar. We didn't know much.

The thing was, you either sucked or you didn't. If you sucked, you couldn't play anywhere, and nobody wanted to play with you. If you didn't suck, you got to play lots of places.

• Members

He also used a Jaguar and a bunch of other stuff. The fact is the guy sounded great and could play.

It's ok to like guitars and gear (who doesn't!) but a lot of people get too hung up on that stuff.

When you spend more time talking about guitars than playing guitars I just don't get it.

• Members
Originally posted by guitarNed

Nobody was switching pickups in and out. Nobody was arguing about strings or gauges. Nobody had an electronic quartz guitar tuner. PA's were low powered. So were amps. Solid state electronics and amps were becoming the big thing. Recording was super expensive, and people who did home recording or hobbyist recording always did it live. TEAC reel-to-reels were the state of the art.

Ah, the days when people were out of tune and it didn't matter, because IT ROCKED!!!

Remember when it really used to be about the music? Sigh :rolleyes:

• Members
Originally posted by keNz

Ah, the days when people were out of tune and it didn't matter, because
IT ROCKED!!!

Remember when it really used to be about the music? Sigh
:rolleyes:

+1

Reb Beach was asked what he thought of Jimi Hendrix, and he said "I'd tell him to tune his guitar." :rolleyes:

Jimi Hendrix is a legend. Reb Beach is best forgotten, IMO.

Archived