Walnut as a tonewood?

dougbeens

• Members

This 11lbs DIY Nocaster Nashville Tele I built has a 4 piece Black Walnut 1-1/8" thick back with a 5/8" thick single piece Hard Ash top/front. You can't see the back in the pic, and it is a porker... With the Fralins and a lil`59er Seymour middle PU, it is my best sounding guitar out of 7. It is heavy wood though! And it takes an oil finish like butter, like butter. ;)

nashtelefin-sm.JPG

Big pic w/o strings:

NashTort.JPG

Pic of Back:

NashTort_B.JPG

• Members

Thinks walnuts is best used as follows in guitars & basses: In necks just when they are 5 peice with the 2 middle peices being walnut. In bodies: Same as maple, which is as tops only. Walnut imo doesnt have a broad enough sound to me, but is very useful to color the sound of other woods.

• Members

Originally posted by Darkstorm

Thinks walnuts is best used as follows in guitars & basses: In necks just when they are 5 peice with the 2 middle peices being walnut. In bodies: Same as maple, which is as tops only. Walnut imo doesnt have a broad enough sound to me, but is very useful to color the sound of other woods.

I believe that the Ric Dakota has some American Black Walnut in it, married to rock maple.

http://www.rickenbacker.com/us/650d.htm

• Members

Any guitar made in the 70's had a variant made out of walnut. any guitar. SGs, teles, strats, basses, LPs. Walnut was very popular back then, along with metallic burst finishes.

The sound is supposed to be a darker maple, thus it's use in the Ric Dakota and Laguna (check out the Laguna) it's a 330 made of walnut.

• Members

Depends on what kind of walnut you're talking about. Claro is great for acoustics, OK for electrics. Banjo necks have been made out of Black Walnut for a long time. I've even used Peruvian Walnut for an acoustic neck, but I wouldn't recommend it without a strong fingerboard and graphite reinforcement.

Otherwise, it's a joy to work. Finding stock without knots in the most inopportune places can be a chore.

• Members

i have the same "The Paul" as Jerry Picker has above. its a very soft wood and dings easily. like he said it has a heavy tonal sound especially with the ebony FB..

I added a pair of super D's to brighten it up. Id put it up against any guitar for blues and clasic rock. to me its the best sounding electrci guitar that i have and i own 8.

Its also very very lite weight comapred to a standard or SG.

Archived