Paul Reed Smith owners, stop buy for a sec...

ncook

• Members
Originally posted by ncook

so?

ad2500amb7.jpg
This ones Buy It Now for $239.95. Why would I waste my money on a PRS when I could own this? I mean its all about the top right?
or this for $300.00
33_12_sb.JPG
What was I thinking, these must be just as good as the PRS! I mean look at them!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by cloudnine

It's a nice guitar, but I honestly think you could find that kind of top on a $500-1000 guitar if you looked hard enough.

$1000 possibly, $500 I doubt it unless it's a photo finish. Someone that buys a PRS custom is buying it because they appreciate the subtle things that make PRS guitars great and things you wouldn't notice at first. I think the top on his is great by the way.

• Members

Originally posted by Sordid1

$1000 possibly, $500 I doubt it unless it's a photo finish. Someone that buys a PRS custom is buying it because they appreciate the subtle things that make PRS guitars great and things you wouldn't notice at first. I think the top on his is great by the way.

I guess this was the point I was trying to make. Sordid is a bit more diplomatic in his explanation.

Guest Anonymous
Originally posted by ncook

I've had 3 good Les Pauls (black beauty, standard, and premium top LP classic), and I didn't keep any of them. I liked them and their sound, they just didn't have enough playing room above th 12th for me so I sold them. I recently had a USA Strat which had more room to play lead above the 12th but it didn't have the tone and punch I liked so its gone. If my calculations are correct, the PRS should be a good alternative. Next I'll pick up a good used RG550 to cover the tremolo needs.
:cool:

Along the same lines, I reckon PRS provides the perfect middle ground between a strat and a les paul. I don't know about you but sometimes I think...woah...I wish I could hit somewhere in the middle, and a PRS seems to do that just fine.

• Members

Whats teh tonal differences between the hard tails and the trems? do they really make that big of a difference?

I'm using an Ibanez SZ 520 that has been heavily modded until I can get better and justify those beautiful prs guitars

Ironic, I had been playing piano for over 14 years and finally decided that I loved the "look" of those PRS and Dean single cuts so much that I decided i must learn to play :D

• Members

Originally posted by cloudnine

It's a nice guitar, but I honestly think you could find that kind of top on a $500-1000 guitar if you looked hard enough.

Nope I dont think so.

PRS uses a 3/4 inch maple top.

Try and buy a 1inch thick piece of Flamed or quilted AAAA maple with the demensions to make a top. Its gonna cost you several hundred dollars just for the slab of wood to carve the top.

Under $1000 all you get is paper thin veneer.

• Members
Originally posted by ECFan

PRSCU-22.bmp

My CU 22 Goldtop!

I love the look of the Gold top PRS guitars. I'm a metal guy though so I don't know if it would look quite right on stage or not though but i'm starting to get to a point in my life where I don't care about that kind of stuff quite as much as I used to. It used to be that if the guitar wasn't black than I wouldn't even consider using it.

• Members

Originally posted by Sordid1

I love the look of the Gold top PRS guitars. I'm a metal guy though so I don't know if it would look quite right on stage or not though but i'm starting to get to a point in my life where I don't care about that kind of stuff quite as much as I used to. It used to be that if the guitar wasn't black than I wouldn't even consider using it.

Yeah, funny enough, I'm starting to develop a taste for the gold tops as well.

Archived