Another Gibson SG on the way!

Boinker

• Members

Originally posted by JoeBoy

HB sized P90s will correct that.

Thanks for mentioning that. I didn't think standard P90s were a drop-in replacement.

I have an original 1961 SG Special with P90s, but it's beat to {censored}. Total hatchet job. DiMarzio pots, Badass bridge with long bolts installed, top sanded down to bare wood. Got it for $600 in 1991 at the Orlando Guitar show. At least it's got the original hardware (except the bridge) and nut.

I want to cry when I see what the nicer original '61 Specials are going for these days.

• Members

Originally posted by Boinker

Faded Cherry, brand new, SG Special. Only thing is, it has uncovered humbuckers, not P90s. Oh well, maybe next time.

You could have gotten the SG Classic from MF...it has P-90s.

• Members

Originally posted by Pete Rules

You got yours for $425???

Actually, it was $447 including USPS Priority Mail and insurance, from a guy on eBay. It's a 2004 model. He needed the cash, so I jumped. Brand new condition, still has the plastic on the pickguard.

He's from Alabama, I'm in Denver. I won the auction late Friday night, I paid immediately via PayPal, the guitar came MONDAY (?!?!?!?) to the Post Office, I picked it up yesterday. Nice guitar. Typical Gibson factory setup.

He said he paid about $700 for it new from a music store. The guy had over 300 feedbacks, 100% positives.

• Members
Originally posted by Edward

Nice.

Purely as a personal preference, I'd be looking at getting covered buckers in there.... maybe putting covers on the ones in there if i could....? But that's purely cosmetic. Nice score.

I'm not so sure about the cosmetic part. I know when famous players were seen playing guitars w/o covers, everybody else started pulling theirs off, too. But I've read that they do provide some shielding. But I don't know.

When I had SD Pearly Gates put in my LP Custom, I told them I wanted the gold covers back on. And people are always telling me how that guitar screams:cool:

Wait a minute - I thought tone was in the fingers? ;)

• Members

Which newer model of SG is recommended? I played a 61 reissue today at the music store and it felt nice.

I can't find a standard at the stores in my neighborhood.
Any SG buying tips?

Thanks!!

Archived