Jimmy Vaughan Signature Strat vs. Highway 1 Strat

RoboCop00

• Members

Hrm. Desicisons, desicisions.

I finally decided to buy a Strat. I'm on a tight budget here, but luckily I have friends and my local music store. Through those connections, I can either get a Jimmy Vaughan Signature Strat for about 500 bucks with gigbag, or a Highway 1 Strat with gigbag for about 480.

I really can't spend more than 600$, and I figure with either of these guitars I can always upgrade in the future. (I plan to put Sperzels on either one I but, anyways)

I've read that the Jimmy Vaughan is a GREAT deal and I love the blues and play blues more than any other genre of music. The pickups sound great for that, but I'm a little reluctant to pay 500 for a guitar that was made in Mexico.

On the other hand, the Highway 1 was made in America, except for the electronics, and I can always replace those later. I've read some bad reviews about the neck and overall construction, however.

What do you guys reccomend?

• Members

I would'nt base your choice on the location in which it was made. If you see and play them in person and one is better then the other get it. If you scope it out before you purchase and find no flaws, why not? Best of luck. :)

• Members

Originally posted by RoboCop00

I've read that the Jimmy Vaughan is a GREAT deal and I love the blues and play blues more than any other genre of music. The pickups sound great for that, but I'm a little reluctant to pay 500 for a guitar that was made in Mexico.

That should read assembled in Mexico using Fender Vintage components.... :cool:

I've had both, and without a doubt the Jimmie Vaughan is a much better guitar, and gig ready right out of the box...

• Members

Alright. Sounds great. I'm really looking foward to buying it. Any of you guys seen the 2 color sunburst on the JV? Does it look good compared to the standard tri-color burst?

Mine is the White/Cream model, but I snooped around and found a picture of the sunburst model.

Looks very nice to me.

Hopefully the 'owner' won't mind me sharing this picture. :cool:

jvsunburst.jpg

• Members

I was looking in that price range and ended up getting the JV. I'm primarily a rhythm player, and I like the soft-V shape of the neck. Also, the Tex-Mex pickups have a nice hot stratty bite...esp. the neck pickup and th emiddle. Never liked the bridge so I put a Lil '59 in it which made for a great HSS combo. I had to ditch the "vintage" 1-ply pickguard, and the "vintage" tuners aren't the best, but they stay in tune.

The sunburst looks really good, BTW...not as smooth as a 3-tone, but it's a good-looking guitar.

Another guitar in this price range is the Robert Cray Artist Series. It's a real nice one with a hardtail bridge, which I probably woulda sprung for if I had known about it at the time, since I don't use my tremolo. It came in 3-tone sunburst but I don't know if they still make that one...found this pic on a UK site:

013-9100-300.jpg

• Members

Well, that's good to know.

I've been playing a lot more lead blues, solos and such, and wanted that bitey sound in the pickups. (It also works out well since I mainly use the position that mixes the middle and neck pickup)

A couple of questions, what do you mean by "soft v neck"? Is the v referring to where the neck connects to the headstock? That always kind of confused me.

Also, what's with the pickguard? I've heard so many bad things about it. Does it just look bad or is it all around shoddy?

I looked at the Robert Cray Signature also, but I really want a maple fretboard and I don't think the RC sig comes in maple.

Thanks a whole lot.

• Members

Well, that's good to know.

I've been playing a lot more lead blues, solos and such, and wanted that bitey sound in the pickups. (It also works out well since I mainly use the position that mixes the middle and neck pickup)

A couple of questions, what do you mean by "soft v neck"? Is the v referring to where the neck connects to the headstock? That always kind of confused me.

Also, what's with the pickguard? I've heard so many bad things about it. Does it just look bad or is it all around shoddy?

I looked at the Robert Cray Signature also, but I really want a maple fretboard and I don't think the RC sig comes in maple.

Thanks a whole lot.

I prefer maple necks, too.

The pickguard is just a cheap, thin thing. It buckles up a little bit between the screws because it's not stiff like a 3-ply. It may be period-correct, but looks cheap upon close inspection. It's not a huge big hairy deal...just a good reason to eventually customize the guitar at some point (takes 20 minutes to do). People will complain about anything.

The neck...ever picked up a shredder guitar and thought, wow this neck feels thin and flat across the back? Or noticed the round, baseball bat shape of a Gibson? This guitar has a rounded V profile that is very grab-able...it's very comfortable and gives good leverage for bending.

• Members

The JV has the same hardware as the Am. reissues. The vintage tuners are Gotoh, which are better than the Ping that are on the MIM 50's, 60's models or MIM Cray. I've read a lot of great reviews on the JV. I'd like to have one too, but I decided to go with the MIM Cray and it's also a great strat for a decent price.

• Members

I'd go for the JV Strat. I did and I love it, but first off, like the others said, ditch the cheap pickguard, and if you really want a smokin' tone, while you're at it stick in a set of Texas Specials. The Tex-Mex's are O.K., but not even close to the Texas Specials. Excellent guitar though!

• Members

I haven't had an issue with the single ply pickguard, although I might change it out later if it starts to 'warp'..

The one issue I had was with the stamped saddles, and they were changed out to a set of solid stainless steel FerraGlide units.

Here is a picture after the FerraGlides were installed.

ferraglide1.jpg

• Members

Originally posted by OldFenderGuy

I haven't had an issue with the single ply pickguard, although I might change it out later if it starts to 'warp'..

The one issue I had was with the stamped saddles, and they were changed out to a set of solid stainless steel FerraGlide units.

Here is a picture after the FerraGlides were installed.

ferraglide1.jpg

Funny, I did the same with mine :cool:

ferraglide3yt.th.jpg

Great guitar, for blues but funk too. Make a nice duet with my Rory Gallagher Tribute :) .

• Members

You guys have been a great help. Thanks so much. When I have the money, I'm going to get a JV. When I get more money, I will replace the pickguard and throw some nice sperzels on it.

The only thing that worries me is I've heard some Fenders are shipped out like dogs. I know the place I'm ordering from will set it up for you for free in shop, but what if the guitar overall is just crap? Bad sustain, frets, etc. I've heard that happens often with Fenders that aren't made in America. I know they are only going to order one for me also, so it's not like I have a choice between several.

• Members

Correct me if I'm just repeating what was stated above... But I believe the JV strats are only _assembled_ in Mehico.

If it makes you feel any better, I have an absolutely killer '89 USA strat and an unbelievable '89 Clapton strat... And the JV I bought is my #1 now.

• Members

Is it wrong for me to LOVE my HWY1 strat?

haha... I just put Ferraglides on it and it is perfect. Admittedly I have the HSS one with the beautiful amber finish, and I in fact enjoy the look of the finish being worn away.

Oh well, go try em... Why haven't you looked at the Lite Ash Strat? It's obviously made of ash, but it has a NICE birdseye neck, abalone dots, REAL seymour duncan pups... Give one of those a go.

• Members

Just want to jump in and say that a good friend of mine has a JV strat, and when he bought it, I had an American Standard. The JV was just as nice playing and sounding if not better...I have sold that strat a long time ago since then, and he still has his JV...

Go for it!

• Members

You guys have been a great help. Thanks so much. When I have the money, I'm going to get a JV. When I get more money, I will replace the pickguard and throw some nice sperzels on it.

The only thing that worries me is I've heard some Fenders are shipped out like dogs. I know the place I'm ordering from will set it up for you for free in shop, but what if the guitar overall is just crap? Bad sustain, frets, etc. I've heard that happens often with Fenders that aren't made in America. I know they are only going to order one for me also, so it's not like I have a choice between several.

I bought my strat through MusicOne Workshop online. They got one matching my specs, color, weight, good neck pocket fit, good balance and do a complete set up. This includes adjusting the nut and removing excess nut material, a fret crown, tweaking the truss rod and strobe tuning. Check their site for info on their gold level setup, which is included. I've heard they send guitars back to Fender that don't meet their quality spec.'s. The R. Cray strat I bought was perfect. No affiliation.

As far as the Gotoh vintage Kluson style tuners on the JV, I'd give them a chance before replacing them. They are good tuners and retain the vintage look. The swap might require boring out the pegholes too. IMO.

• Members

Originally posted by lkbong

As far as the Gotoh vintage Kluson style tuners on the JV, I'd give them a chance before replacing them. They are good tuners and retain the vintage look. The swap might require boring out the pegholes too. IMO.

I've been gigging with my JV for about three years. The stock tuners are just fine. I thought the tuners would be a weakness, and had planned to get a set of locking tuners for it, but it's not turned out to be neccessary. They don't feel as smooth or precise as the Grovers on my Agile, but they tune up and *stay* in tune under hard use. They just do it in a vintagey way.

Archived