Need help deciding...

chu2

• Members

Hi.

I am trying to decide on a first electric.

I am between the Johnson telecaster copy, and the Jay Turser Tele copy, and the Epiphone Dot Studio.

I am looking for something cheaper, in the range of $100-200.

Can anyone help out here?

Oh an does anyone else know of any cheaper, but good beginner guitars?

Thanks..

• Members

U can try squiers . they are all right beginner guitars. Keep in mind with that budget u aint gonna get anything all that great, but still playable. I have a silvertone beginner guitar for sale. Its a strat (look in my sig).

• Members

I've heard the Epi Dot is better than the Dot Studio if you can find the extra Cash. If you're into semies, I'd also look at the Samick range - we see very few of those over here, but they seem generally at least as good as the Epis, and tend to be cheaper as they don't have the same gibson association (despite probably being made in the same factory).

No doubt the word Agile will spring up here soon too - I have no experience of those, but they seem to have a good rep.

If you're looking on ebay, I'd keep an eye out for a Westone Rainbow I or II as well - astounding Japanese quality and while they're getting more collectable by the day (you should have no problem selling and making your money back), they're still available for often a fair bit less than a used Epiphone.

• Members

I scored several interesting guitars at a pawnshop and a used instrument store (Musicgoround, a franchise operation) in my area: an Epi Alleykat for $300 without case, an Epiphone Genesis for $200, and a Peavey Reactor AX for $200. The Alleykat is a sturdy semi-hollow several steps up from a Dot with many more available sounds from its neck mini-humbucker and bridge pseudo '57 humbucker. I've had it over a year and have yet to swap out the pots, switches and pickups. The Genesis was made in Taiwan in the late '70's or early '80's and is a solid and real heavey double cutaway with two humbuckers and, like the Alleykat, has a real nice fast and slippery neck. I can get range of smooth dark jazz tone from the neck with the tone at zero to wonderful tele-like twang with the bridge and a ton of reverb. The Reactor AX is a tele clone with dual rail single coil sized humbuckers. The body looks like ash. That is my pick-up mule and is currently apart awaiting a rainy day for me to route out the body for the installation of p-90's. You can score non-AX reactors for $200 or less. Great guitars.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Hey, hi again.

First of all, thanks for all the help. I'm gonna have to check out my thrift store...You never know what you might find....

Second of all, I think i have found the answer as to my guitar-choosing dillemma-

The Oscar Schmidtty OE-30:eek:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/fg=141/g=guitar/s=electric/search/detail/base_pid/514013/
http://www.strummersmusic.com/images/oe30dlbl03.jpg
http://www.oscarschmidt.com/images/oe30.jpg

The blue finish is what caught my eye, and then the price.

The thing is, they don't sell Orcar Schmidts anywhere near where I live. I was wondering, does anyone know how these compare to the Epi Dots, sound- and feel-wise?

Any advice is welcome, once again

Thank you!!

• Members

As long as you don't get a B Stock Turser, their Tele is OK. They sell their B Stock off in lots and it has come back to bite them. They do not offer a very good variety. Dragon Fire has a $99 Tele. For $200 bucks you should look at the Squiers. They are closer to the real deal. Copley sells a Tele thats built like a Tank. I think it goes for less than $200, but I am not sure. I like the Tele Headstock shape and do not like most Tele clones due to their headstocks. If you don't mind that there is tons of em. Rondo has their SX Tele, which has good favor on this board.

• Members

Hey.

Love the sx tele copy, but is the neck that flimsy (I'm going by harmony central reviews)?

Hmm... Oscar schmidt semi-hollow or the sx tele copy?

This is a hard decision.

Anyone want to weigh in on the sx neck problem?

Thanks

• Members

I'll give Agile a plug.
http://www.rondomusic.net/tc730.html

I just bought one of these in Transparent Brown and they sent me Butterscotch so I had to sennd it back. I have an SG that's close to that color and I hate having the same color guitars (I know, I'm strange).
Anyway, the build quality was flawless, the neck was great, fret were nicely finished, and the pickups were awesome.
Very much worth the $250 asking price.

• Members

thanks for all the help

If anyone knows about flimsy-neck sx's, please tell before i buy one.

Otherwise, it looks really good for the money.

Plus, its easier to mod then the Oscar Schmidt.

Thanks for all the advice!!

• Members

I have not heard anything about "flimsy" neck's on the SX' but any budget guitar can have issues. I would expect to add a good set up cost to the price of any new guitar esp.if it is shipped.
Let us know what you get.

Archived