Guitars that can't stay in tune

The Anti-Fender

Guest Anonymous

Especially on stop tail guitars.

I had an Ibanez RX60 ($400 AUD) that had the crappiest tuning machines ever...so rusty they would go out with the slightest bend. Not to mention a very worn graphite nut. So I went out and bought a set of Gotoh machine heads ($50 AUD) and got a bone nut put in. Tuning stabilty was unshakable! I never really used the trem, so I was cool with that.

• Members

Originally posted by straightblues

Almost every guitar can and will stay in tune if it has a good professional setup. Pay $50 and have one done on it and you will be very happy.

Key words, here, are "almost every." Some guitars are effed-up and, even allowing for the fact the perfect intonation is impossible, are never going to be more than a lot of startegizing and compromising.

• Members

To many variables.

Stretch the strings, lubricate the nut, make sure the truss is adjusted right. Tighten the screws on the tuners.

Some tuner can get slopy, some have little screws that can be tightened on the tuner peg that puts some friction on the tuner that can help it stay tuned. Switching out the tuners could help. Say the G is slipping, try to swap it with the high E tuner that needs less tension.

• Members
Originally posted by The Anti-Fender

I can't {censored}ing stand guitars that can't stay in tune. This 1996 les paul my brother has just won't. Its so infuriating. I hate that guitar. I love my RG.

...discuss
:)

Sometimes tightening the tuners is enough to help them stay in tune.

• Members

Here's a hint. If you have trouble keeping a guitar in tune you probably don't have the strings tight enough at the string pegs.
You can correct this either of two ways, although the second way listed is best if you have gold plated posts and want to preserve the finish.

(1) After inserting the end of the string through the post, wrap it around the post to where the string has entered the hole. Next, pull the string under and then over itself at the string hole. You will have created a loop in the string. Now tighten the string by turning the tuning keys. With the string wrapped over the loop, its far less likely to pull loose. This is the standard method for tieing acoustic guitar strings at the post. Always keep some tension on the string as you wind it by lifting it away from the post. This gives a good, tight winding.

(2) With Gold plated tuning posts its easier on the finish if you don't wrap the string over a loop. Instead, use a String Winder tool. Insert perhaps two inches of the string through the post, bend the string slightly at the post, and then using the winder, crank the remaining several inches of string around the post while you apply tension to the string by lifting. This will wrap the string nice and tight, although it does take alot of string winder cranking.

BONUS HINT: To further preserve the gold plate on the posts (actually to make it a little less likely that you'll damage the plating), use a set of strings that are ribbon wrapped on the end that goes through the post hole.
So far, the only strings I've used that have this wrapping are Thomastik-Infeld brand. It's a nice feature that can help to avoid the abrasion on the plated posts.

• Members
Originally posted by The Anti-Fender

every hardtail i've ever played, including every gibson i've ever played has had a slipproblem with the G string.

OK, set down the crack pipe and slowly step away. I've owned probably 20 hardtail guitars over the years; I have 4 right now. I don't recall ever once facing this issue. Maybe the guitars you've played haven't been properly strung and set up? (just thinkin' out loud)

:cool:

~Blackbelt

• Members

The three things I look at when there are tuning issues are the guitar hardware/nut, the stringing technique and the player.

If every hardtail you have ever played won't stay in tune, I would bet it aint the guitar. ;)

• Members

I have a nighthawk special '94 and I have the same problem with the g string. My bridge is different from an lp but it is fixed so it could probably be the tuner. I don't have this problem with my epi with the grovers. It seems to be common with the tuners with the gibson logo and white/cream pegs.

I had an rg470 tho and I gotta say THAT was a bitch to tune!

• Members
Originally posted by k4df4l

The three things I look at when there are tuning issues are the guitar hardware/nut, the stringing technique and the player.

If every hardtail you have ever played won't stay in tune, I would be it aint the guitar.
;)

What he said. Once I started using a good stringing technique several years ago, my tuning woes went away. Even on guitars with what I consider less then desirable tuners.

• Members
Originally posted by Blackbelt1

OK, set down the crack pipe and slowly step away. I've owned probably 20 hardtail guitars over the years; I have 4 right now. I don't recall ever once facing this issue. Maybe the guitars you've played haven't been properly strung and set up? (just thinkin' out loud)

:cool:

~Blackbelt

LOL

Since it's a real LP, if it has the Gibson Kluson tuners they're most likely not the issue. It probably has one of those {censored}ty chalk-looking factory nuts. I don't know what they're made of, but they suck big-time. Get a good bone nut (properly cut/filed and installed), make sure you have enough windings on the pegs, tune it up, and it should be fine.

Cost--about $30. Why they don't put bone nuts on $1500 guitars at the factory, I'll never know. It would probably cost them about $2 a guitar.

Archived