Anyone try the Agile ST-802 or St-1000 yet?

riffy

• Members

I'm getting the 1000 next week, My guild STarfire is on ebay and ends tomorrow, that is going to buy it.

I dont think many people have bought them yet, there aren't any reviews on it either on HC.

I am buying blindly, but I know it's gotta be a great guitar

• Members

Mines absolutely fantastic. I love the neck, it's kinda thin like an ibanez. The satin finish and the well dressed frets make it one of the nicest necks I've ever played (been playing for 30 years).
Pickups are very acceptable, depends on your tastes though, not overly noisy at all. Much better that the MIM pups.

I know I'll get ass slammed for this but it's every bit as good as an
MIA Strat

• Members

I have one of the first St-802s, with the grover locking tuners, sunburst, w/ maple fretboard.

For $239 it is worth it, but I would not compare it to a MIA fender. Mine doesn't stay in tune great, with any trem use. Pickups are unremarkable.

But build quality overall is pretty good. I love the look/finish on it. Nice wood grain & color. I'm thinking about it being my "keep it out of the case for when I want to just play a quick couple of minutes and don't really care what happens to it" guitar, while my other guitars sleep safely in their cases until needed for a more serious playing session.

• Members
Originally posted by TheMadMonk

I have one of the first St-802s, with the grover locking tuners, sunburst, w/ maple fretboard.

For $239 it is worth it, but I would not compare it to a MIA fender. Mine doesn't stay in tune great, with any trem use. Pickups are unremarkable.

But build quality overall is pretty good. I love the look/finish on it. Nice wood grain & color.

+1, except I paid 200 for mine. :cool:

EDIT: Oops, forgot.... Pics: Playing5.jpg

Overall: 7 out of 10

Love the neck, but I have had some tuning problems, pickups are decent, but I'm getting new p/ups as soon as I get some money for 'em... Finish is exellent, though it looks absoulutly terrible in pictures... Great guitar, definatly surpasses MIM Fender. :)

• Members

I have an ST-802. It's pretty solid. The neck is actually quite comfortable and smooth. The body is solid but not too heavy. Tuners are fine (I didn't get the locking tuners on mine). The trem is alright but I don't use it that much. The only weakness this guitar in my opinion, are the pickups. They're not as bell like as you'd find on a good strat. I can get a decent strat "quack" but otherwise they're a bit lacking. I'm tempted to swap pickups.

• Members

I ended up putting CS Texas Special pickups in my 802, and it's an excellent player..

Locking Grover tuners, graphite nut, stable Wilkinson trem/bridge, nice neck with 22 medium/jumbo frets, a great feature set for the price.

I prefer it over any MIM Standard 'strat. :cool:

802-99.jpg

• Members

I believe the ST-1000 has the same features as the ST-1500 plus the Wilkinson locking tuners for $150 less.
The only difference is the 1pc flame neck and the maple flame (insert) top.Besides, I think the 1500 is fug....unattractive.;)

• Members

Originally posted by seaofstrings

I'm getting the 1000 next week, My guild STarfire is on ebay and ends tomorrow, that is going to buy it.

I dont think many people have bought them yet, there aren't any reviews on it either on HC.

I am buying blindly, but I know it's gotta be a great guitar

No offense, Sea, but I think you are going to regret selling the Starfire. It seems like you are going the wrong direction here, but to each his/her own:-)

• Members

I have one of the very first ST-1000s in sunburst, got it from Rondo last Friday. Beautiful, wonderful guitar. Can't say enough great things. Locking Wilkinson tuners, great bridge, satin neck, great sounding pickups, beautiful fit and finish. Just a great guitar for 300 bucks.

• Members
Originally posted by docjeff

No offense, Sea, but I think you are going to regret selling the Starfire. It seems like you are going the wrong direction here, but to each his/her own:-)

I'm going along with "doc" on this one Sea.
I'd think twice about selling the Guild. The 1000 is a nice guitar and all, but.... I mean how long does it take you save up $300? The two together would be a nice combo.;)

Of course, my motto is...Don't sell nothin':D

• Members

I cannot stress enough how well put together this St-1000 guitar is. I have the AL3000 as well and it is equal to that in construction. Personally, i enjoy playing Strats more, so this has all i've touched recently. The sunburst on the front and back is wonderfully done and the neck joint is perfect. and the new Alnico pups sound terrific! I chose the rosewood board, but there was a maple board St-1000 there in the store for you maple guys.

• Members
Originally posted by marktsc

I cannot stress enough how well put together this St-1000 guitar is. I have the AL3000 as well and it is equal to that in construction. Personally, i enjoy playing Strats more, so this has all i've touched recently. The sunburst on the front and back is wonderfully done and the neck joint is perfect. and the new Alnico pups sound terrific! I chose the rosewood board, but there was a maple board St-1000 there in the store for you maple guys.

I'd love to see photos of the insides of one of these guitars. Would one of you be willing to do some closeups of the components and wiring harness?

Like this...
56control.jpg
56cts.jpg
56rout.jpg

• Members

Well doc, let's keep this in perspective. What was the purchase price of your Strat? Also, we all don't live on mountain tops in Colorado. This IS a thread about Agile 802's and 1000's. Wouldn't wanta start sounding like GG would you?;)

• Members

Thanks for the warning. Its a dearmond guild model. I have had it for a little bit, but I have humbuckers all over the house, I really want some singles to play with.

It just sold (greedbay) at $455. It was $600 when I bought it new. I'm pleased.

I will miss it though

Archived