ES335 - thinking of a purchase....

FearMeWithMyLP

• Members

I have been interested in buying an ES335, but I haven't much experience with them. I recall this one that I played in a Guitar Center that had a fantastic acoustic quality to it when I played it unplugged. There were, however, others that did not (I base most of my guitar buying on feel - if it feels alive and plays extremely well acoustically, I know I have my guitar). I seem to be a bit pickier than others when it comes to choosing my guitars, as they MUST have a fantastic acoustic type sustain and resonance to the body - otherwise I won't even plug it in. I usually play my guitars on the couch unplugged anyway.

So to my question.... since the body of an ES335 is hollow (kind of like an acoustic guitar), do these guitars have a full acoustic sound to them when plugged in? I don't want to get an acoustic guitar because I still like to play rock music, but like to have my extremely shimmery clean side to my playing, but not that really dark bass heavy blues type tone (I'm looking for more of an open acoustic tone like Pete Yorn or John Mayer - more for open chord work.) It's kind of like I want the feel/sound of an acoustic guitar but with the ability to rock out with it when needed? If that makes sense...

oh I was thinking of purchasing one of those Douglas SH-90 es335 copies from rondomusic.com (here is the link http://www.rondomusic.net/sh90na.html)

• Members

I have an ES335 that I bought about a year ago. It has become my "go to" instrument because of it's versatility. It is essentially a solidbody instrument with two large hollow chambers that add a bit of openness and a bluesy character. They are not acoustic-sounding at all. They are slightly dark sounding and very expressive.

From what you described, an ES 335 may not be the right instrument. You may want to look at a Rickenbacker 330 or 360. Pete Townshend and John Mayer are both currently using Fender Strats. Pete's has a Powerbridge (acoustic pickup) built in.

335top.jpg

• Members

One member of this forum has shared his experience of a semi acoustic with solid spruce top ( but still with a center block) and it sounded very interesting to me. I sure would like to find one of those but they seem pretty rare. Maybe that would fit the bill for what you are looking for, sound wise. Otherwise, what about a full hollow? The choice is plenty.

Archived