r0de mics + joe meek

• Members

I was wondering what was everyone's opinion on the r0de NT2 and the joe meek vc3 preamp. are both worth to record electric instruments, to ensure they do great recording.

If so, then I'd like to hear your opinions.

Other suggestions are welcome

• Members

Well, whether or not you get a great recording will depend more on the player than what you use to record.

The Rode and Joe Meek are good home/project level gear. And whilst you might find them in some pro studios, they certainly won't be on the front line.

To single mic an amp, you'll be better off with a dynamic than a condenser.

• Members

I have some Rode mics: NT2a, NT2000 & NTK. There is a huge difference between the NT2a and the NT2000. In comparison, the NT2a sounds very cheap and harsh. The NT2000 is silkier and fuller sounding.

I actually bought an NT2a because it was cheap, and I was intrigued by it's claim to have an exceptionally quiet noise floor. The first one I tried had a serious fault, and when I returned it my supplier sent me a good one, and the NT2000 to try. I'm pleased he did, because the difference is vast. I decided to keep both, because they are cheap enough.

The NTK is tube, a little noisy (actually needs a new tube now) but has a warmth about it. I don't recommend cheap tube mic's as a first mic choice.

All these ROde mics have a hot, bright output which means your preamp doesn't have to work so hard. I can't comment on the new chinese Meek stuff, but my old VCTwinQcs gets a bit of use and is perfectly adequate for these mics.

By electric instruments - do you means guitars? The classic SM57 is often a better choice than a condenser. And for many vocals, an SM57 or 58 or Beta version thereof might give better results than a condensor. You should own at least one SM57.

I have a SM7b (large diaphram dynamic) which can be even better. There is a lot to be said for using dynamic mics - don't just buy a cheap condensor on somebody elses advice - see what works for you.

If you go with dynamic mics, you might require a better preamp. They are more sensitive to impedance loading and require more gain. Look for preamps that can be used with ribbon mic's (which are even lower output) and you should be right.

• Members

I am right now in possesion of a sm57 and I send all of that to a digi 001. I know the preamps of the digi 001 are not that great so I was looking for something else that wasn't too expensive and could do a good job. Plus, that Joe Meek has some compression capabilities which could be interesting.

I'd like to have a large diaphragm condenser mic to mic up guitars along with a 57, just to get some of the nuances that a 57 can't get. At the same time, I'd like it to be able to use it for decent vocals.

Right now, A friend of mine let me borrow some old schoeps stereo pair that his dad gave him (an ol' engineer from Norway :D) so they do nicely but for vocals, they won't really cut it since they are more for stereo micing and room ambience stuff...at least that's what I got the feeling when trying it out.

I'd like to point out that it would be mostly at the home recording level but I'd like to have a decent level to try to do guitar and vocal overdubs at my place for possible more serious productions.

Thanks for the input so far.

Here's a link to the Joemeek ThreeQ review I did in the Jan '05 issue of EQ.

In general, I like the Joemeek products. I have three in my studio. IMO, they're really good on things where you want a touch of "attitude". I like them on acoustic guitars, toms and bass. They're not my first choice for vocals, but OTOH, they're better than the preamps in the 001 IMO.

If you can spring the extra bucks for a ThreeQ, it is a better / improved product almost all the way around when compared to a VC3Q.

I think the Presonus MP20 and FMR RNP are also good "budget friendly" two channel mic preamps, and while they lack compression and EQ and cost more than the Meek, they do have two channels, which might come in handy for you at some point. For example, you could record acoustic guitar in stereo, or use a dual mic setup while recording electric guitar...

I have not tried the Groove Tubes Brick, but I'm looking forward to doing so. That might be another budget friendly option (around $500 MSRP), but I can't comment until I have had a chance to use and hear it first. :) I should have one in for evaluation / review RSN. If it sounds good (and since it's supposedly based on ViPre technology, it just might...) then it will be the only sub-$500 tube mic pre I would consider buying - I'm just not a fan of most of the budget "starved plate toob" preamps.

Since I tend not to track with a ton of EQ, the coolest thing to me on the Meeks is the opto-compressor. It's a decidely "brash" and "effected" sound when hit hard, but a very cool one for certain things.... and I'm not sure that it would be the ideal choice for someone's "only" preamp. They've announced a half rack stereo compressor (MC2? I think that's the model name), and that should be out fairly soon, and I'm looking forward to hearing that too.

Anyway, I would say the Meek is better than the 001, and a good choice for brash sounds on a budget. If you can scrape a little more cash up, the ThreeQ is better than the VC3, and if it's a more transparent, higher grade preamp (or if stereo / two channels are important to you) then you might want to consider some of the other options I mentioned.

As far as mics go, I've never been a fan of the Rode NT2... as Kiwi said, I find the NT2 to be a pretty harsh sounding mic.... but I'm a bit of a mic snob. ;) I do have an NTK, and while it's not my first call vocal mic, it can sound very good on some singers. It's also decent on guitar cabs or as a room mic. If you put the SM57 up close and an NTK (or another condenser mic) back a bit in the room and print each to a seperate track and mix them to taste later, you should be able to get very useable electric guitar tracks - assuming the player and guitar / amp are up to the task of course. :)

A lot of people on tight budgets really seem to like the Studio Projects B-1 and C-1. Other budget contenders would include the Samson CL7 and for a bit more moolah, the SE Electronics Z3300A.

I also am a fan of the AKG C-414... probably out of your price range for a new one (which you didn't mention specifically, so I'm guessing a bit here on some of these recommendations), but if you can find a used C-414 EB P48, that can be a really nice sounding mic on a lot of sound sources. They're a really classic "all around" condenser mic.

• Members

Just a quick question, I just got a Studio Projects C1 through the post today and i already use an e609. At the moment im recording a song with 2 main rhythm parts throughout the song (think lamb of god, killswitch engage kindof stuff). Normally i would record each part and pan one left about 60-70% and one right by the same degree. With the addition of the condensor, would you tend to pan it to the same place as the e609? Is there any particular theory to this or is it just a case of try it and see what you like?

edit: forgot to say how cool this new forum is and how its already given me a million new ideas to tryout while keeping me from terminal boredom in my last 3 days of work!

• Members

ahh...If Only I had the money for a c414, I'd jump on that without hesitation. It fills in all the requirement I need.

The problem is that they are so expensive that there is no way I can afford anything like that. I'd say that my budget lies to a max of 150 GBP which makes about 250 dollars I think...and that's pushing.

The reason why I talked about that joe meek is because I might have located one for a very good deal, less than 100 dollars.

You said it is good for brash sound. What do you mean by that? I don't think I quite get that explanation.

As for the harsh rode. I guess it is not the best thing but what would you recommend to record vocals for rock/accoustic and such?

Thanks for all the help, It's not easy to form an opinion in this world of such wide choice :(

• Members

I find the Joe Meek gear to be fantastic on certain sources, but completely foul on others. When it's the right tool for the job, Meek is hard to top. But, holy fark, when it's not the right tool, there's no question.

As for the ROde mics, I've had a fair bit of experience with them. I'll second the opinion of some nasty high-mids in virtually every model (NT2 included). They're not great on female vocalists, or say, middy-sounding electric guitars. If you want that smoothe tone, reach for an SM57, or, for a slightly darker tone, a Sennheiser e609 - which I've also had a fair bit of success with.

As for Joe Meek gear not being "front line", I know for certain that Meek has been used extensively on the last two Beastie Boys projects. Whether or not you like the BB's is another matter entirely.....

Cheers!

Spencer

Archived