Suggest a relatively Cheap Tube Compressor?

• Members

I have started using a Behringer Bass V-Amp pro on tube pre-amp mode with compression for processing sound out of a KS-Rack and found it sounded much better than expected, but more in terms of it adding a flavour of a vintage or aged kind of sound I was after than it actually giving me what I was after.

So it got my thinking what I really am after is something more aimed at that specific 'aged' sound that I can use on Sax recording, guitars, EPianos or whatever, but with rather more control and without the digital processing artifacts of the Bass V-Amp Pro (which I mainly use as a Bass guitar processor).

So, can anyone recommend a decent dual channel (stereo) tube compressor with drive/warmth control that can add from the very subtle to moderately driven tube character and compression to a signal?

I dont want to spend stack of cash on it - maybe upto 300 USD, but maybe more if there is something really good and readily available in the UK.

In an ideal world I would have somthing with entirely analogue processing, but digital control via midi for presets and recall, but still lots of knobs for instant control - I have no idea if such a thing exists at a reasonable price. Good on panel control is way more important than digital recall to me - I can allways use a tracking sheet. For signal IO - balanced line analogue is prefered.

I currently have no plans for using it to treat a whole mix, instead just as a instrument effect, but if its upto the job, then all the better.

I may conceiveable want to use it on vocals as well - if it happnes to be upto the job.

Any suggestions much appreciated.

• Members

Relatively cheap tube compressor? Key word being 'relatively' here...my suggestion would be the Empirical Labs EL-8 Distressor...Yeah, it's solid state, but that's about as tube as you're gonna get at that price point. This thing will blow 'cheap' tube compressors out of the water.

But, if you're looking for character on a budget, look for the FMR RNLA. I've been hearing good things about the RNLA. I'm thinking of getting one myself.

• Members

Empirical Labs EL-8 Distressor = single channel for US$1350

Nope - still can't recommend any cheap US$300 stereo tube compressor.

An Ibanez Tube screamer (still solid state, but who would know) is a nice overdrive pedal for crunching things. It's not a compressor of course, but I suspect you are looking more for fuzz than just squash?

Unless you want to spend serious money, I recommend that you still to VST plugins for good compression and tube emulation. There are freebie plugins that I would prefer over any cheap, noisy low voltage toob compressor.

• Members

i dont think cheap and tube could ever coexist in the same phrase unless you want to add disappointment into the mix as well. you are far better off getting something along the lines of an rnc (clean) or the aforementioned rnla for color than you are with a cheap tube compressor. trust me, i bought one and ended up wasting a few hundred dollars. that being said, if you absolutely must insist on a $300 tube, the only thing worth considering in that range imo is the art pro vla. might be worth looking at.

I've been playing with a new RNLA now for a couple of weeks... it rocks hard in traditional FMR style. :) IMO, it's probably THE best deal for a "colored" compressor on the market today - especially for under $300.

People get a little wound up over tubes, but solid state can be equally colored, and tube circuits can be designed to be quite clean... it's less about what they used to accomplish the task than it is about the tone of the box IMO. :)

• Members

Originally posted by byunsenburner

i dont think cheap and tube could ever coexist in the same phrase unless you want to add disappointment into the mix as well. you are far better off getting something along the lines of an rnc (clean) or the aforementioned rnla for color than you are with a cheap tube compressor. trust me, i bought one and ended up wasting a few hundred dollars. that being said, if you absolutely must insist on a $300 tube, the only thing worth considering in that range imo is the art pro vla. might be worth looking at.

Phil:

Do you find the RNLA to sound similar to the art pro vla? Does it make the signal sound "sweet" still clear (for vocals)?

Phil:

Do you find the RNLA to sound similar to the art pro vla? Does it make the signal sound "sweet" still clear (for vocals)?

It doesn't sound exactly like anything, except for maybe another RNLA. ;)

It does have a characteristic Leveling Amp type sound to it... think LA series (LA2, LA3) or TLA100... that basic "character", although it's not a clone of anything in particular, and it's possible to set it "quicker" than most LA's. Like those other great products, it's a winner tonally... It's been a long time since I've heard the Art Pro VLA, but if my memory serves me well, this kills it. :)

Archived