P90's or Humbuckers? What do you like?

chu2

• Members

Originally posted by brianwahl

P90's - best of single coil and humbuckers tone-wise. They rock hard.

I like them cause they can give me my two favorite sounds:

Thick and Ballsy, and Chimey.

+1

I still love my Esquire the best, but my LP Jr. can rock like no other.

• Members
Originally posted by davyhaskell

technically, but they deserve differentiation.

If you are going that route, then every different magnet, pole piece, and winding configuration deserves its "own" place in the nomenclature. Too many here are in the rut of thinking that conventional Strat and Tele single coil pups are the only "real" single coils. 'tain't so...never was.
The DeArmond-Rowe pickups on early Gretsches, Fender Coronados, and many others are true single coils as well. So are G&L's "MFD" pups.

The differentiation that P-90's deserve is UNDER the heading of "single coil"...because they ARE that!
Further, P-90s are much more truly single coil pups than, say Fender Vintage Noiseless (or any stacked humbucker masquerading as a single coil).

The trinity of single coil/humbucker/P90 is artificial and absurd.
:cool:

• Members

I don't agree with that. By your logic, strats have humbuckers. But they don't. But if P 90's can be considered the same as single coils even though they are different from standard single coils, then strats have humbuckers even though the coils are spaced inches apart. They should be differentiated. A P 90 is a type of single coil, but it's own animal.

• Members

Originally posted by Ronaldo

I don't agree with that. By your logic, strats have humbuckers. But they don't. But if P 90's can be considered the same as single coils even though they are different from standard single coils, then strats have humbuckers even though the coils are spaced inches apart. They should be differentiated. A P 90 is a type of single coil, but it's own animal.

And a Texas Special is its own animal.

As is a 57/62.

As is every handmade pickup from any maker you might name.

The mystique surrounding the P-90 is WAY overdone, IMHO.

I love P-90s and extol their virtues, but they are NOT anything other than a type of true single coil pickup, with the virtues (bite, bark, chime and growl) and vices (hum) of other single coils.

NOW...

About this argument that Strats "have humbuckers" when played in the quack positions (2 and 4 on a 5-way switch): This is fast and loose with the terminology. The individual pickups ARE single coils, the combination IS hum bucking. That does not make the pickups humbuckers.

Also, consider coil-splitting in humbuckers. Here, a true humbucking pickup is split into its individual single coil halves. When operated in single coil mode, the humbucker pickup unit is functionally a true single coil pickup. However, that does not make the pickup unit sitting there in the guitar (e.g. a PAF in a Les Paul) a "single coil" that should be lumped with Strat Texas Specials in the single coil camp.

Verstehen?

• Members
Originally posted by Ronaldo

But what makes you think that the P90 is the "different sort" of single coil. They've been around forever too. Why do you consider them to be the non-standard instead of the other way around? The category is single coils. Below that,you will find a number of different styles with the skinny coils and the fat coiled P90's being the most popular. Then there are the Ricks,Ovations,Burns Tri-Sonics,Jag,Jazz,G&L,etc. As for HB's,why wouldn't minis be considered a humbucker?

• Members

I won't say I like one over the other, BUT!!

I'm recently into the P-90 tone in an overdrive mode.

A bridge P-90 can crank out a classic rock tone with more clairity and definition than a humbucker. This statement, of course, would depend a lot upon your amp and effects, but I'm talking about a tube screamer into a 1 X 12 all-tube amp. A humbucker just hits that set up a little too hard and muddies the tone a bit. Now of course a humbucker into a Marshall stack is no problema.

For clean tones, I would lean toward the humbucker or strat singles.

Archived