more on the RNLA

• Members

Hi All,

I just posted this on gearslutz but thought some of you would be interested so I posted it here as well as added some things.

I just talked to Mark at FMR about how to use the RNLA and questioned him about the "color" of the RNLA compared to the RNC. I also asked him about the low end, bass "buzz" that some are getting. He was straight forward and said that the RNLA adds more color or "goo" to music and that musical style and taste will determine if one likes the RNLA over the RNC, which is more transparent. For example, I play both classical and acoustic steel string guitar (a very nice TAYLOR I may Add) He said I would not use compression on just classical guitar/songs but on blend of classical and acoustic maybe I could experiment. I like William Ackerman sound from Windham Hill so the RNLA would provide that sound. He recommended for my application to run BOTH the RNC and RNLA, with the Rnc>>>RNLA, using a dual mic set up ( I have been lusting after stereo AKG 414 XL-II). He said if you run two RNC's, or 2 RNLA's or one of each in a cascade set up, you would eliminate the low end "buzz" that some are experiencing. He said the side chain (into external EQ) would also eliminate the problem.

If I were to run the RNC >>RNLA I would set the RNC to 6:1-ratio, 2 O'Clock for attack and release, threshold to -4 to -6 db. The RNLA would be set to 10:1-ratio, 10:00 attack and release with -2 to -4 db threshold. He was quite helpful, personable. He sounded a little disheartened by the fact that some users do not know how to set up the RNLA to eliminate bass "buzz" (setting the release to quickly or not running side chain or not running cascade of two or more).

Oh, this is for Phil...He said that you were a true STAR :cool: and could not speak enough about how he appreciated your professionalism. Phil's the man!:)

Oh, this is for Phil...He said that you were a true STAR :cool: and could not speak enough about how he appreciated your professionalism. Phil's the man! :)

:o Coming from someone like Mark, who obviously knows his stuff, I consider that to be quite a compliment. :o

ANY compressor will distort / buzz on bass if you try to set the release time too quick. It's the nature of the beast, and the RNLA is not immune to that... but Mark's suggestion regarding cascading multiple units is a good one. You have to know what you're doing with things before you can make accusations or fair judgements about a product. Unfortunately, some people will try something out, make a mistake in how they're using it, or misapply the gear and then conclude "it sucks", and then say it all over the web, where others take it as gospel. :(

That's one of the reasons why I NEVER say anything - good OR bad - about the sound of any product that I have not tried / used extensively myself. IMO, things would be a lot better if everyone stuck to that same philosophy instead of passing off secondhand reports as their own experiential knowledge and opinions.

"Operator error" doesn't mean a "design flaw". ;) And if someone hasn't used it themselves, it's hardly fair to pass judgement on a product and / or to pass along other people's opinions (some of who may not have tried the product either :rolleyes: ) as if it was their own.

I'm workinjg on an RNLA review and it's not fair of me to post any significant details of that yet... but I'm going to purchase at least a couple of them, if that gives you any clue as to my thoughts about the product. ;)

• Members

ANY compressor will distort / buzz on bass if you try to set the release time too quick.

ISTR there were similar complaints with the RNC when it came out, and they posted something on their site about release times.

Tis the way of life and the internet. There's probably a bunch of people singing into the back side of microphones and writing them off as rubbish as well. :rolleyes: Some people seem to judge first, learn second.

-Daniel

Archived