Upgrading USA Peavey Predator - Need Help

UltramegaOK

• Members

Howdy folks,

I've got an early 90's Peavey Predator USA model guitar and am looking to replace the tuning keys, pick-ups and maybe the bridge.

The peg holes appear to be 8mm instead of the more common 10mm. I can't seem to find anyone who makes replacements for this size. Ideas?

I saw in a search that some of you also have this guitar and may have already upgraded a bunch of the parts or just bought one off eBay and will be doing it soon.

Maybe those with experience wouldn't mind adding to this thread the brands and models of parts used / work you did to upgrade your Predators.

Thanks!

• Members

Originally posted by RyanE_DRiVEPiN

I just saw some Kluson and they appear to be vintage. Know of any by them that are more contemporary, i.e. locking tuners?

nope - vintage is their thing, AFAIK

waverly does excellent vintage style, as well, but not cheap, and not what you want

the stock tuners on my Predator are cheap, but they hold tune fine - I'm not using the bar on it though

• Members

I've had my Predator for a few months now. I have come to really appreciate it. I was going to replace things systematically as I went. I've ended up replacing nothing but pickguard and color of plastic pieces (Fender products).

The tuners looked highly suspect to me. They hold tune very well. I recently got a trem arm (see below), and they hold tune even with trem use. I'd give 'em a thorough test before replacing them.

I also was suspicious of the pups. I've grown to like them too. They'll stay.

BTW, if you need anything, contact Peavey. I wanted a trem arm to satisfy my surf jones every once in a while. I contacted Peavey's parts department and they shipped me a new trem arm. Their techs regularly visit the discussion forums and answer questions. If I knew what great customer service this company has, I would never have mocked them in the past. They get a gold star from me.

• Members

Don't worry about the size of the tuning post holes. Just buy yourself a set of inline sperzel locking tuners a drill the hole out to the proper size.

I did that with a Squier for my kid. It was relatively painless. I had to make a trip to the hardware store to buy a large enough drill bit.

I own a Peavey Reactor (tele model).

I started playing it again recently.

It really is very good for the value, USA made for about $220 retail new.

But I'm going to put sperzels on it, texas special pups (for a little more character and tone definition) and probably also put a tortoise shell pickguard on it to dress it up.

• Members

Originally posted by Steve Matthews

Don't worry about the size of the tuning post holes. Just buy yourself a set of inline sperzel locking tuners a drill the hole out to the proper size.

I did that with a Squier for my kid. It was relatively painless. I had to make a trip to the hardware store to buy a large enough drill bit.

I own a Peavey Reactor (tele model).

I started playing it again recently.

It really is very good for the value, USA made for about $220 retail new.

But I'm going to put sperzels on it, texas special pups (for a little more character and tone definition) and probably also put a tortoise shell pickguard on it to dress it up.

standard tele PGs won't fit it - I ended up painting my old one black - the tele horn is much thicker and rounder than the Reactor's

• Members

Originally posted by roygbiv

The tuners looked highly suspect to me. They hold tune very well. I recently got a trem arm (see below), and they hold tune even with trem use. I'd give 'em a thorough test before replacing them.

Yeah, I would like to keep the originals. I actually have a bad one, though. It's somehow got a loose mechanism. I've taken it off, inspected it and put it back and the darned thing jiggles just enough to need replacement. It slips out of tune and won't tune up smoothly.

I'll contact Peavey and see if they have a replacement part...as soon as their website starts working again. Seems to be down today.

Thank you all for your suggestions.

• Members

Yeah, I would like to keep the originals. I actually have a bad one, though. It's somehow got a loose mechanism. I've taken it off, inspected it and put it back and the darned thing jiggles just enough to need replacement. It slips out of tune and won't tune up smoothly.

I'll contact Peavey and see if they have a replacement part...as soon as their website starts working again. Seems to be down today.

Thank you all for your suggestions.

I'm pretty sure I have one that fits right - pm your info if you are interested - I'll dig around and make sure later - gotta run right now though ;)

• Members

Originally posted by jjpistols

standard tele PGs won't fit it - I ended up painting my old one black - the tele horn is much thicker and rounder than the Reactor's

Yeah, I ran into the same thing with my Reactor. I can't find Reactor guards anywhere and the cheapest I could find one custom cut was $50, which is a lot to spend for a cosmetic upgrade on a $165 guitar. If you do have one custom cut, you have to get thin (1-ply) material. If you go with the thicker stuff, it won't slide into the gap between the body and the part of the fretboard that extends beyond the base of the neck.

• Members

That looks nice. 'Rising Sun' version
;)

Thanks for the offer. PM'd.

good news - found one - the cover over the gear is a bit different, but it looks like the screw holes match perfectly - got your pm, I'll get it out this week - no screws or bushing, so make sure you don't lose the originals when you take the machine off

:cool:

• Members

good news - found one - the cover over the gear is a bit different, but it looks like the screw holes match perfectly - got your pm, I'll get it out this week - no screws or bushing, so make sure you don't lose the originals when you take the machine off

:cool:

Thanks, bro. The Brick ATX kicks pants. I just sent you an add from Drivepin on myspace.

I have the bushing and cover, screws from the original. I'll see how everything matches up once it gets here.

Oh yeah...that Rondo looks bitchin', too.

• Members

Originally posted by HamsterSandwich

Yeah, I ran into the same thing with my Reactor. I can't find Reactor guards anywhere and the cheapest I could find one custom cut was $50, which is a lot to spend for a cosmetic upgrade on a $165 guitar. If you do have one custom cut, you have to get thin (1-ply) material. If you go with the thicker stuff, it won't slide into the gap between the body and the part of the fretboard that extends beyond the base of the neck.

Just go to www.pickguards.com. They not only have a Reactor template, but you can send them a tracing and they'll cut it to your exact original if you want to make sure it will fit.

• Members

he's probably painting his new bike black
:D

Yeah, I've been out riding with some old biker friends of mine and putting quite a few miles on the FXDWG (Wide Glide)... :D

Haven't painted it Black yet, as the Metallic Lava Red finish is really sharp.... (Well, at least for a while)...

Did someone mention 'Black Predators'????? :p

3strats1.jpg

blackgroup1.jpg

• Members

Originally posted by Steve Matthews

Just go to
www.pickguards.com.
They not only have a Reactor template, but you can send them a tracing and they'll cut it to your exact original if you want to make sure it will fit.

I just use the "regular" Fender Strat pickguards on my Peavey USA Predators...

They fit perfectly, except for the fact that you have to drill a couple of holes since the Fender pickguards are 11 -hole.

Archived