$1300 Guitar Suggestions

Samicklover

• Members

Hi there, In a few weeks I'm planning on going to a few guitar shops to try some instruments out and I need some suggestions. I've been a bassist for the past six years, I have a Fender MIA Jazz Deluxe and have been pretty satisfied with it. Lately I've been playing my current electric guitar quite a lot, its a Peavey Predator... =/ and sucks pretty bad.

I really enjoy SRV style tone, think Lenny/Riviera Paradise as well as John Mayer's solo sound. I'm thinking that a strat style is definetly in order, perhaps a Fender Stratocastor Deluxe? My problem is I know all about good basses but not much about good guitar names. Suggestions anyone?

I was also thinking of picking up the Peavey Classic 30, I've read some threads around here and that seems to be a pretty good combo for the price.

• Members

Originally posted by psb962

omni has a $1300 Fender in the spam thread. Brand new. He didnt like it.

He doesn't like anything.

If you can come up with another $300 you could get an Eric Johnson Strat. Every review says it's a winner.

• Members

G&L - the better Fender.

IMO

starting @ around $950. They also have the added bonus of being able to be ordered with about 30 finishes, 4 different necks, different neck finishes/wood options, and pickguard/knob colors, which Fender can't offer. I absolutely love my Legacy ($1100, took about 2.5 months from order to delivery) and highly suggest the brand.

• Members

Originally posted by hondro

what's wrong with a hot rod?

peavey classics sound better than them and cost 300 dollars less.

in otherwords, hotrods dont sound as good as peavey classics but cost 300 dollars more.

in other words, hotrods cost a lot of money for rather medium level sounds. I wouldnt go so far as to say they sound bad. they just dont sound good.

I had one as my first tube amp for about a week, i did not like it after a week.

and to think i couldve had a deluxe reverb back then. my dad was paying for that amp back during that time, and i didnt know {censored} about tube amps. He threw down 800 bucks for that thing.

It had a very one dimensional tone. what does that mean to me? the sound didnt have much depth or anything to chew on as you spanked harder and harder. it was simply a block of something that fender called sound.

Next? drive? more drive? get the {censored} outta here with that waste of a channel and extra buttons. what a monstrous waste of anyones time those features are.

pleasant break up? nonexistant, sounds more like very loud radio static when it breaks up.

More minor issue, zero to too {censored}ing loud all in a 5 degree turn of the volume knob.

itd be a fair amp at 350 and 500 dollars.

at 550 and 750? someone end that madness and stop buiying those things.

• Members

Not my item but definitely a good reccomendation to you. Hamer also made what I think they called the T-52 model which had a birdseye maple neck and I believe a pau ferro fingerboard, just a dressed up Daytona. Those things are a bargain. I also reccomend a Carvin Bolt or a Reverend Avenger. You will wind up having $500 or so left over and you can buy an even better amp.Hamer Daytona

• Members

Originally posted by metallica_00

G&L - the better Fender.

IMO

starting @ around $950. They also have the added bonus of being able to be ordered with about 30 finishes, 4 different necks, different neck finishes/wood options, and pickguard/knob colors, which Fender can't offer. I absolutely love my Legacy ($1100, took about 2.5 months from order to delivery) and highly suggest the brand.

I agree. I've owned many Strats. The G&L Legacy Special I have now is better than all of them by quite a long way. $650 used in mint condition.

• Members

If I had $1300 I would definitely NOT look at Fenders. If you're not opposed to used instruments, Zion strats are the best value. You can find one on e-bay for under $800 and it will be better than any new Fender that costs twice as much. The consistency of boutique guitars is much, much higher than mass-produced Fenders. Even though you buy sight-unseen it's a pretty safe bet.

For $1300 you can also find a used Anderson or Grosh, but in my opinion Zions are better, or at least of the same quality. I own 4 different Zions. I play them all. I also own a pretty good Fender Am Strat. There is no comparison.

If you are really set on a new instrument, Zion has an entry level GT-series. Which is essentially a stripped down Zion Radicaster. The sound and playability is the same with the more expensive Zions. You can get any pickups you want, even if you supply your own (in which case I would recommend Bill Lawrence pu's).

• Members

I recently got VERY lucky and got a Melancon Classic T (Tele style with three pups) brand new at cost (around $1200) from a dealer who was doing a serious inventory reduction.
Used near-mint Melancons can often be had for $1300 and thereabouts. Good guits, those...true boutique quality by a master luthier.

This'd be mine...the very one!
http://aplusguitars.com/classic_artist_t_tobacco_burst.htm

• Members

You're on the right track. The SRV tone is a little hotter with a touch more emphasis in the mids from the pickups. But I would still recommend that you go with the Fender Strat Deluxe. Even with the traditional S-S-S configuration (of three single coils) the S-Switching allows you to multiply out the available tones beyond the normal 5-positions through various parallel and series wiring configurations. I have the 40th Anniversay model and it sounds and plays great.

The Peavey 30 is also a very good choice. It's very similar in tone to an all tube Fender amp. And as a professional club player friend of mine who owns one said, "The 30 watts is plenty loud enough for me to be as rude as I need at any of my gigs". I bought one for a girlfriend (it and her are now gone) but I liked the amp. It just had one problem with a harmonic tube if you turned the reverb up high. And even though I bought it locally retail, they wouldn't change out the tube for me under warranty because we discovered it past their time frame for covering tubes. But other than that, they have a very good vintage style tone, with nice overdrive capabilities at a very good price.

In the sale catalog that Musician's Friend had out, they were advertising them on closeout for $450. You should see if they still have them.

But you're on the right track.

P.S. There's plenty of Predator fans out there. For the $, they are considered to be a good bargain if you've got one of the USA models. I also have a USA Peavey Reactor (the tele model) and it seems to get a little more praise than the strat model. But basically for $220, you got a guitar that competed well with $400 price range Fenders.

Archived