Question about producer...

Sobrina

• Members

Hi, I hope I am posting this at the right place...

I was wondering if we can have more than one producer on one album :confused: ? And if so, does it look unprofessional ?Is there conflict of interest ?

• Members

Having multiple producers on a single album is definitely a common trend at the moment especially in pop, electronic, hip hop and dance music genres. With that said it is equally as important that all the producers commissioned to work on your album can truly see the artist’s vision through from beginning to end.

• Members

You know, I don't mean to hijack the thread, but... one of the reasons for having a single producer, or an "executive" producer, is to make sure that an album has a flow to it, that the songs don't sonically sound totally different, with a bare bones demo followed by a 64 track masterpiece, I guess. But in this day and age, no one gives a frak about that stuff any more - you can put out anything you want to as long as people like it. So within some genres there are certain elements that are expected, such as insanely overdone low end in hip hop and dance music, or sonic white noise distortion and vocals that no one can understand for death metal. But for pop and rock I think someone could probably have a hit done on 8 tracks of Pro Tools Lite using a drum machine, IF the song was great and sounded cool.

Regardless, producers are important for anyone who does not have a lot of experience recording and releasing music, because even though that reverb overload you did on the vocals sounds good to you and your buddies, you're going to regret it once it's out there on CD and you can't bring it back in.

• Moderators

Richard has a point, and alonf with that I think what it comes down to is we have gone back to the era of the 'single'...for unsigned artists, releasing more than a four song EP is pointless unless you are gigging regularly and sell full length CDs (along with other merch), and even then, this is also the era of the mp3 download, so physical product is secondary. How cohesive do your songs have to be when they are not listened to in any specific order? The 'concept album' no longer means anything, in fact the term 'album' as related to music is meaningless now.

That said, I still believe that there should ultimately be a single 'visionary' at the helm when presenting any artistic output.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived