Uh.....oh my god.

Slave_New_Wurld

• Members

Why oh why did someone not tell me to lower my action. I can't believe I've been trying to learn fast lead guitar with strings higher than 4mm

I can actually play at a decent speed now :D

This should be the first thing taught in any lead guitar lesson. Never thought it would increase speed and tapping ability so much!

• Members

Originally posted by guitarslinger213

That's like saying "being beautiful is not the goal for everyone. it's a personal preference thing.":D

Not at all. Not even close.

For speed picking/ shredding a low action may be great, but there is a whole world of other playing styles out there for which that is not the case.

Problems with low action:

Poor tone.

Increased buzzing.

Bending becomes increasingly difficult.

No "feel" to the strings.

I personally like to feel a little resistance from my strings with a medium action.

A

• Members
Originally posted by k4df4l

why oh why did it take you 1,598 posts to figure this out?
:p

I had a low action plenty of times, kept switching and experimenting, just it's only in the past month or so I've really concentrated on improving my lead guitar.

I had mixed messages form people

Some guy told me to learn lead on an acoustic and/or high action - he reckoned this would really test my ability :(

Anyway I though I'd cheat the learning curve and lower the action. It was too tempting.

It's very common from what I know for guitarists to make life more difficult when LEARNING a technique, so you almost double your effort. Makes sense I guess.

• Members

Originally posted by Aaron Cheney

Not at all. Not even close.

For speed picking/ shredding a low action may be great, but there is a whole world of other playing styles out there for which that is not the case.

Problems with low action:

Poor tone.

Increased buzzing.

Bending becomes increasingly difficult.

No "feel" to the strings.

I personally like to feel a little resistance from my strings with a medium action.

A

Couldn't have said it better myself. Gary Moore plays with a high action and he's pretty damn fast. However, action or speed should not be the goal, above all else communicating through music should be the goal.

• Members

Originally posted by Exploder

Couldn't have said it better myself. Gary Moore plays with a high action and he's pretty damn fast. However, action or speed should not be the goal, above all else communicating through music should be the goal.

Don't forget, Malmsteen has REALLY high action.

• Members

Some high action notables:
SRV, Mike Bloomfield

I like a medium action for most of my electrics. I have one that's set low, and yes I can get around faster on it.

One thing I have found but haven't read anywhere, I prefer a relatively low action on an acoustic in order to get better sustain for hammer-ons/pull-offs. A high action means you are damping the string for a longer period when you're doing these.
With acoustics, I really notice the difference.

As for shredding, who cares?

• Members
Originally posted by Aaron Cheney

Try the last 15 years.
:)
Shred officially went out of vogue when Nirvana hit the scene. I get the sense it's actually about to have a revival.

A

God I hope not. And damn you for even SUGGESTING that it make a comeback! Haven't we heard that useless wanking enough?:mad::D

Archived