Question about String Gauges

PRSnotPOS

• Members

Should be fine and if not you will not do any permanent damage. I doubt the trussrod would need tweaking and if the intonation is off then you can put it right! If it is brand new out of the factory then you should probably expect to do a set up in a couple of months anyway.

• Members

Originally posted by PRSnotPOS

Is it true that if my PRS came factory with 9's that I have to get the action and intonation set up if I want to put 10's on it or should I be fine if I decided to put 10's on it?? I'd rather just play with .9's than mess up anything on my PRS. Please Help.

No serious harm done.

However, the intonation is set based on the string guage.

Unless you are having difficulty tuning the guitar, it should be fine.

But, if you do, you would need to adjust the intonation using a strobe tuner.

• Members

Originally posted by PRSnotPOS

Is it true that if my PRS came factory with 9's that I have to get the action and intonation set up if I want to put 10's on it or should I be fine if I decided to put 10's on it?? I'd rather just play with .9's than mess up anything on my PRS. Please Help.

I know what you mean.

I bought a PRS a few years back and I was scared for some reason (proabably some card inside the guitar case) to put anything other than 9's on it. But I'm sure it will be fine with 10's, but I think they are just warning us that the set up is tuned for 9's.

I remember the sales clerk telling me they were set up for 9.5's. I think he was wrong, but he did toss me a set as a spare. I can't remember what I ever did with that set of strings, but they are not that common. But you could probably give them a try if you want to up it just a tad.

I'm personally okay with the 9's. I figure if the factory set them up that way, they are probably a good choice for the action AND tone.

Usually I go with 10s, but its nice to have a couple of my guitars strung with 9's for easier bends and nuances.

I also have a Parker Fly Classic and on that guitar you actually have to change out a tremelo leaf spring for either 9's, 10's or 11's. They set it up with the 9 and included a 10 spring in the case and gave me a card I could mail in for a free 11 spring.

Archived