Any Soundtracs console owners about?

• Members

Just curious if there are any users on this forum. We have a Soundtracs Solologic, and absolutely love it. Just finished doing some maintainence (only the second time in 5 years, first was PSU caps, this time more electrolytics in the VCA power regulation onboard) and mods, and couldn't help think how much I love this board for it's sound and ease of use/features. Ad to that the superb support of Soundtracs USA, it's tough to beat. Sure it doesn't have full recall, but the VCA and mute automation is fantastically smooth, and honestly all I need.

So, stand up and be counted!!!!!!!

• Members

It's not modular, so you must remove some screws on the top, then flip and remove screws along the sides, but I can get into it in a few minnutes with a cordless drill, it's no biggie.

There's a motherboard of sorts, which, like everything inside, is in groups of 8, with interlinks. these screw in, but again the cordless drill has them off(if you need to) in short time.

All the automation and the processor board are on the fader banks, with the processor board living under it, so you remove that to get to the VCA's. Ribbon cable length is ample, making working on it live very easy. (one hand in pocket of course)

There's a ton of room between PC boards, many parts can be removed without removing the module. All IC's are socketed, a huge plus in my book.

Contruction is very rugged, fat steel chassis, tons of support for the CP boards. The boards themselves are well made and components can be replaced easily. Everything I saw was 2% tolerance, a sign of good quality.

The console comes with a full set of schematics, another big plus.

In all, considering it's not modular, it's a breeze to work on.

(one hand in pocket of course)

I tend to favor the "one hand at the small of the back / parade rest position", but that's just out of longstanding training and habit. ;):D

Thanks for the details on the maintenance of the board - for a non-modular design, it sounds like it's about as easy to work on as one could hope for. cool:

• Members

I worked on that console twice before, actually. I remember being impressed, and then getting drunk and not finishing vocal tracks.

Speaking of awesome consoles, after hearing an album that was recorded with one, I have a (most likely pricey) telephone appointment with some folks at Trident Audio on Wednesday about the possible purchase of their new 24 OR 32 CHANNEL DREAM CONSOLE with the fader automation package and custom wooden stand. Time to buy tons of MOTU 24I/Os. Priced at roughly $25k plus the hefty shipping from the UK...I'll be sweating over this for a long time. The thing is, I'm thinking it might be the perfect way to "kick-start" the studio after I move it to Maryland from New York. I'll certainly be the only guy in town with one of those. And an M249.

Archived