The Most Dangerous Trend in Recording

• Moderators

Originally posted by squealie

1. If you prevent all the {censored}ty musicians from recording music....that will starve out a WHOLE lot of recording studios.

Not to mention that rock and roll would have never happened.

2. I personally don't care if 'rock-star' can sing on pitch or not. Listen to Evanescence live. She has tons of difficulty with intonation. On record, she sounds great, my guess is either pitch correction or a zillion takes or both. The album sounds good, that's all a producer or recordist should be concerned with.

Music is not simply a documentary of how badass the player is. Even casual listeners understand that it means more than that.

I think I'll make that my sig....

Agree completely on #1, most projects that us small studio owners do aren't that great. However, their money still spends the same, our clients are grateful for what we do and they're happy to be making a recording of their music.

Preventing/discouraging them from coming in would be like making folks take a proficiency test before selling them a nice guitar - bad for business.

#2 I'll take a little bit of issue with. If you're on a major label, and touring nationally, you'd better be able to pull it off, IMHO.

In the case of someone like the marginally talented Ms. Lee, for every one of her, there are dozens of more deserving folks with more talent and better songs, who can actually sing. The end result is that she's made the record companies a lot of money, but so has Aretha Franklin... See if anyone even remembers Evanescence in 5 years, let alone 30.

Crankily yours,

MG

• Members

Originally posted by squealie

1. If you prevent all the {censored}ty musicians from recording music....that will starve out a WHOLE lot of recording studios.

Not to mention that rock and roll would have never happened.

2. I personally don't care if 'rock-star' can sing on pitch or not. Listen to Evanescence live. She has tons of difficulty with intonation. On record, she sounds great, my guess is either pitch correction or a zillion takes or both. The album sounds good, that's all a producer or recordist should be concerned with.

Music is not simply a documentary of how badass the player is. Even casual listeners understand that it means more than that.

I think I'll make that my sig....

In regards to #1... +1. In regards to #2, I wish I could get my money back from seeing Soundgarden live, what a wake up. However everyone's lining up for Audioslave so I guess most people would agree with you and really don't care (or can't hear) if someone sings off key live.

• Members

Originally posted by MarkGifford-1

In the case of someone like the marginally talented Ms. Lee, for every one of her, there are dozens of more deserving folks with more talent and better songs, who can actually sing. The end result is that she's made the record companies a lot of money, but so has Aretha Franklin... See if anyone even remembers Evanescence in 5 years, let alone 30.

Well that's the age-old fiasco aint it?

I'm just too old to care if the artist can pull it off live. The CD is what I listen to, and I listen for mood, not chops.

That said, one of my favorite artists, Tori Amos, has it all. And her albums have HUGE dynamic swings, and her live performances are blissful.

OTOH, if you can figure out a way to market Aretha to the big record buying demographic (13 YO girls and 15 YO boys) I'm all for it.

OYAH, I think drum machines and loop music is FAR FAR FAR more offensive and ugly as a trend (20 years now) than pitch correction.

/rant

Archived