Anyone see/try these yet?

I've seen the site, but I've never heard the preamps or done one of their builds. If your soldering chops are not up to snuff, I wouldn't recommend even trying... but if you can solder, it might be a cool project. But I'd probably start off with just one and see what I thought of the sound of it before investing in eight kits. :)

Doing a bit of addition, it looks like a 4 channel API type / style setup with case and PS is going to cost you about $1,900 - plus a lot of bench time. I don't know if the savings are worth it - not when you can get a real API 3124+ for six hundred bucks more ($2,500), and not have to spend several days soldering. But if you have more time than money and you're willing to take a bit of a gamble, then it might be worth it to you.

• Members

Yeah, I've done the math. If you do have the time, it would be a little money savings. I personally love to build things (built and modded several amps, pedals, etc.) so time and experience isn't an issue for me. My main query is whether or not they sound as good or close to what they're cloning. If not close, then it wouldn't be worth it, IMO.

J

• Members

Anyone see/try these yet?

Yes, hundreds. Do a search at gearslutz, recording.org, 3daudio, and other sites for opinions from some very satisfied users.

Doing a bit of addition, it looks like a 4 channel API type / style setup with case and PS is going to cost you about $1,900

Actually, it'll be $1597 before tax and shipping, including op-amps, so the savings is closer to $900. But the real appeal of our kits isn't saving money, it's enabling recordists to build world-class tools they can use on every session. If you prefer to shop instead of solder, our kits are not for you.

Actually, it'll be $1597 before tax and shipping, including op-amps, so the savings is closer to $900. But the real appeal of our kits isn't saving money, it's enabling recordists to build world-class tools they can use on every session.

Hey, thanks for popping in! :) Manufacturers are always welcome to discuss their products in this forum as long as they're responding to threads about them and not starting them. ;)

Anyway, as to your comments - is there a discount for multiple units that I missed seeing and that accounts for the price difference you mentioned - or is my math really that bad? :D

If you prefer to shop instead of solder, our kits are not for you.

Seems fair enough to me. :) I look forward to reading argonaut's impressions if he decides to build some of your kits. Thanks again for stopping in. :)

• Members

is there a discount for multiple units that I missed seeing and that accounts for the price difference you mentioned

Not a discount for multiple units, but for ordering a "complete" kit, which includes a chassis, power supply, and at least one full module kit. There's also a $35 discount for ordering an A12KF and SC25KA at the same time. For the combination above, the discount is $307. You can use the shopping cart to calculate the discount for any other combination of modules, power supply, and chassis.

Archived