Mic preamp shootout - Neve Portico, API, Great River, Sebatron

• Members

Stumbled across this because I was curious about the Portico and found this shootout. I don't have time to listen to it anytime soon, but at some point I will!

Neve Portico 5012 in three different settings

API 3124 with stock 2520 opamp (1999)

Great River MP-2

Sebatron vmp-2000e

Sources: acoustic guitar, electric guitar, and drum overheads

http://www.thelisteningsessions.com/session10.htm

• Members

Not wanting to upset anyone, but I personally find many shootouts like this to be utterly worthless. Why?

Have you ever recorded multiple takes of the same thing - using exactly the same guitar and mic and preamp. Have you ever noticed that each take is different, and that you strongly prefer one over another? I mean - come on! That's studio life as we all know it.

Therefore - with shoot outs like this, you have absolutely NO IDEA whether you are just hearing a better take that you like, and comparing it against a crap take. In between takes - what else changed? Did the temperature drop? Did somebody crack a joke and suddenly the guitar player warmed up? Did he have an emotional reason to prefer a particular preamp (maybe the color or the shape of the knobs) and therefore played better? Did he just move an inch away from the mic?

Also - web hosting cost money. There is no free lunch. Maybe - just maybe - somebody has a financial interest in the outcome of these "independant shoot outs"?? I'm not wanting to upset anyone, but it's a big bad commercial world out there.

VOCAL SHOOTOUTS ARE INFINATELY WORSE! A singer has about three good takes, and then the voice deteriorates. There is no way that a singer can sing the same thing perfectly the same through several different preamps.

Preamps are important, but compared to source and mics, they make the least difference. How can you know that the difference you hear have ANYTHING to do with those preamps?

The other thing that really makes me mad is where you follow the forums for these shootouts. You hear really stupid stuff like (and here i'm wildly paraphrasing, but you know what I mean):

"Take 3 seemed to have a little more spaciousness than Take 1"

"Oh yes - I accidentally had a stereo chorus over the master buss on that Take. Sorry!"

I find these to be fairly laughable, i'm sorry.

• Members

No need to apologize. What you are saying has a great deal of merit. And along with what you say, there's the whole other setting of various parameters that we don't know about (gain staging, the kind of room it's in, the kind of player, the kind of guitar, test conditions, and a whole bunch of other details.

I still haven't listened to this yet. Maybe I will later. But I thought it would be interesting to others largely because of the Portico. That's certainly why it's interesting to me.

I think that sometimes you can get a sense of what the mic preamp brings to the table, but not in so much of a "Battle Of The Preamps Contest" sort of nonsense. More in sort of a "Hey, this mic preamp seems to hold its own compared to these other nice mic preamps, and it seems to sound really great. And wow, they have a 7-day trial period. I think I may check that out in my studio."

• Members

To support these comments heres one for ya.

I own a GR1NV. Im really happy with it.

Ive read many formal and informal reviews incuding some from notoriously picky pros that praise this pre.

On Lynn Fustons mic shoot out site it sound like S&^T - absolutely the worst of several pres auditioned.

It sounds much too dark - in a way that would likely accent all the worst characteristics of my vox.

If I had heard these files before purchasing I probbably never would have gone with this unit.

Yet, it seems really clear that Lynn is very careful about what he does. He just posted the files without comment.

Im sure he had no axe to grind

I never could understand this.

• Members

Originally posted by UstadKhanAli

The GR sounding dark seems really strange to me. That's supposed to be a really clear, open preamp, right? You just never know...

Actually thre NV series is colored - Neve-esque.

There is another line of GR pres that are the clean ones.

Archived