Tascam DM-24

• Members

This is an old issue, but I figured I'd give it a try.

I'm controlling my DM-24 with Cubase SX3. I've written a driver for the Device Manager. Everything is working fine except that when I change song positions, I get the following Error Message:

MIDI Rx Overflow

Press ENTER to continue

Most of the time pressing enter works and the DM-24 is fine. However, sometimes the Error Message is fatal and I have to re-boot.

My impression is that the DM-24 is getting too much MIDI information too fast. If there was some way of slowing down the flow, I think the DM-24 could handle it.

Thanks,

Ian:cool:

• Members

It's the first pro mixer I've worked with and the learning curve was extensive for me, but I am happy with it and I've got it well integrated with my studio. At the time that I bought it, it seemed like really good value for the money (with the exception of the meter bridge which is both something you need and falls into the category of after market rip).

Ian:cool:

• Members

Wow you dropped a DM and it still works? Cudos to Tascam for making a sturdy product.

I am heartened to read of happy DM24 owners as I just got the DM3200. So far it is a dream...I agree the learning curve has it's issues, but after a ton of reading and experimentation I'm getting the hang of it.

Viva DM!

• Moderators

Tascam rocks.

When I bought my DM-24, I hooked it up to my three DA-88s and found that while the two slave decks were chasing the second TDIF port made horrendous noise until the deck sync'd. Not acceptable.

I contacted Tascam and they told me I was the first three DA-88 owner to try it so far as they knew. We went though a little problem diagnosis on the phone, which resulted in their engineers in Japan designing a special TDIF interface card just for me - and of course any other DA-88 owners that might come afterward.

This wasn't the first time I got exemplary customer service. Back in the tape days, I was doing an album for a customer on a short deadline. Mixing down to a recently purchased Model 32 2-track, I discovered I was unable to calibrate my machine to the correct calibration tape. I quickly realized even though I bought my machine in the US it was set to IEC (European) EQ rather than NAB (US). I got the schematics out to see if I could move a jumper or something, and discovered the schematic had an error in it.

It was the middle of the night, so the only Tascam center open was in Australia. The guy I reached said, "Well, if it's important enough to you to call Australia it's important enough to me to pull one off our line and tell you how it should be configured." Which he did.

Two days later, the designer of the Model 32 called me from Tokyo. His English was marginal, but he told me he wanted to meet the "crazy man" that called Australia to get a tape deck sorted out. As we were on the phone, he went through the schematic with me and gave me a running explanation of what each circuit did, how it was designed, and, in some cases, suggestions on how to upgrade the circuitry. We talked shop for over an hour.

He called me several times a year after that just to see how I was doing and what I was working on. Cool guy. :)

Terry D.

Archived