Which HD recorder for loop based recording?

• Members

I posted this in the recording forum but I'm sure there are a lot of experienced users of HD recorders here too.

I keep on trying to find a solution to capture loop based performance on the fly without having to deal with the computer, so basically an intuitive loop capable tracking device.

The idea is to work loop based and punch in / out synced to midi within the loop markers, without stopping the engine. Ideally you could then arm a new track and record again.

I never worked with a hardware recorder but I think this would work by enabling loop and auto punch function. Now how this is implemented in the different models is what I want to know. Ideally you'd press record in a middle of a looped region, the recorder would wait until it hit the loop start, start recording, end at the loop end getting out of rec mode and instantly playing the recorded loop on that track (or by ways of desarming it or something)

Then select and arm a new track click record ....etc

Other than that my only other concern is that it should have some form of spdif and if possible record uncompressed at 44.1/24.

Do any of the "oldies" can achieve this sort of loop based performance? Or do I have to go with one of the big modern ones (VS2480 or Korg D32 for example)? Any of them particularly good at this task?

Thanks a bunch!

:thu:

Hmmm... well, I'm not a big loop oriented guy, so I'm the wrong one to ask. Maybe you should check with Craig Anderton over on SSS - he does a lot of live, loop based performances, and he's a true master guru.

For the little looping manipulation I ever do, Pro Tools and Sonar work fine. Oh, and maybe you should check out Ableton Live too... that might be right up your alley. :)

Anyone else have any suggestions?

Archived