Chopper Guitar project

Shovelhead

• Members

Hey Oggy! The neck is Brazilian Rosewood with ebony fingerboard. See pics below... More pics of the guitar being built here: http://www.picturetrail.com/jzshredder

My band, Clear Cut, plays LaSalles in Chico frequently. Next time we play I will have this guitar with me and you can check it out. So do you know Chuck at Soundsource or Dave Vert at Herried's? They were very cool guys when I lived down there. Dave used to work for BC Rich in fact. Also do you ever get up to Paradise to see Wayne Charvel? He is a really cool guy. I actually graduated from Chico State. Best 8 years of my life! ;)

91749322.jpg

91749079.jpg

• Members
Originally posted by msalamander

I was thinking about doing flames on a warmoth PRS I've put off painting. I just cant find that thin blue tape anywhere.
:confused:

any hardware store should have it , its painters tape .

• Members

That neck is killer. I havent been to Herried's in like a year because they are guitar nazis. They always talk {censored} about gear they don't sell and try to tell you how much better their stuff is:rolleyes:. I love Soundsource but they are only open on Thursday and Friday now so they can focus on their online shop.:(:mad:

• Members
Originally posted by SchroederGuitar

Hey guys,

Don just told me about this thread. I was not a registered member of this board until today. Thanks for all of your kind words. I have to say that Don is amazing to work with. He helped me SO much in the building of this guitar. Being the motorcycle guy, he reviewed the chopper design after I drew it and had me make appropriate changes, (the inlay was completed by Bill Nichols - great job Bill!) and I also discussed the other details with Don along the way. He was a great help and inspiration. I will post pics of the completed guitar next week! Check my sig line for other projects I am working on.

Cheers,

Jason

holy crap you make awesome stuff. keep up the good work. :cool: :cool: !!

• Members

Originally posted by vintage clubber

very cool! I assume it's just going to have one volume control?

It will be a push/pull pot for volume/tone.

Oggy, I will have to check out the online shop. I haven't seen it yet. Buried in sawdoust!!

Thanks superpoo!

• 5 months later...
  • Members

Loving that.... I could go a bundle on something like that myself, though I could see my version being simple dot inlays and having the flames on the front (I don't as a rule care for natural or other finishes that display woodgrain, especially where flamed or otherwise figured wood is involved - but that's purely subjective personal taste).

Really lovely job.... the thing that impresses me most are the little touches like, as others have said, the control cavity. I do like the idea of the flames on the back - if you're going to go the whole hog (ha!) on something as custom as this chopper guitar, might as well hang the expense and have something down the back - "just for yourself". Long time ago i didn't get the attraction of that, but now I do. To me it's also a hallmark of a really classy guitar that they take as much care over the bits that aren't seen by the "audience" as they do over the front finish. I actually really like that chopper inlay as well, which surprises me...... bear in mind I'm the guy that if they gave me a signature LP, it'd have small dot inlays in place of crowns, and I hate PRS birds etc.... the fact that this has such an arty inlay and yet doesn't look overdone / crass / too Liberace (think PRS dragon inlays, or that LP yer man from the Darkness has where there's more inlay than wood on the 'board) is the mark of truly skilled design and build.

And damn, what i wouldn't do for an LP junior in that metallic tangerine colour.... dredges up fond images of the Honda CBX 360cc Dad has in the garage.... :)

• Members

at a loss as to why you would put details like the flame and control cavity on the back. no one will see it. if it were a car it would be as if you put some really neat flame decals on the underside of your hood: ALMOST POINTLESS.

• Members

{censored} me in the goat ass, that's nice guitar!

I thought I was cool because I've managed to get the right color going to vintage tint a maple Fender neck.

Both you guys should be very proud. Shovel, is that poly, acrylic, fingerpaints? What are some of your techniques?

Schroeder cracks me up. Check out the "scrap" he used to put the neck on for pictures...

• Members

Hey guys,
Just saw this thread revived! For those interested, here are the back plates completed with .38 special casings inset into Braz rosewood (from the same board as the neck)...

chopper-back.gif

And a closeup of the chopped Arlen Ness kickpeg that is modded to be the volume knob.

chopper-kickvolume.gif

I will reiterate, Shovelhead is a top notch guy! Great job on the paint and just a great guy otherwise. We are talking about another project right now.

Thanks so much for the comments guys. All of them, really. It was something that was kicking around my head for a while and had to be built. A little much for some people but it is a lot of fun.

This is a fantastic guitar by the way. Very fat and warm. Nicely balanced. Loaded with Wagner Goodwoods which sound just killer, especially in the neck. 3-way switch and volume. No BS. Just a plug in and play guitar. Very snappy attack with the ebony board. Neck is fat and the frets are jumbo.

As for the pointless detail to the back of the guitar... the irony seriously cracked me up! "no one else will see it" :D

• Members

Originally posted by Abaddon

at a loss as to why you would put details like the flame and control cavity on the back. no one will see it. if it were a car it would be as if you put some really neat flame decals on the underside of your hood: ALMOST POINTLESS.

Have you ever seen the parts that are out for customs that go inside a hood? Oh wait , you are banned , n/m

• Members

Originally posted by SchroederGuitar

It will be a push/pull pot for volume/tone.

I'm unclear how this is possible, with a single conventional push/pull pot.

I could understand if it were a concentric pot.

If you have a diagram on how to do this, I'd appreciate the reference.

If there are special two-pots on a single push-pull shaft available, I'd like to know what they are called, and where to get them.

Thanks

Oh, yeah, I dig the guitar, too.

Having the natural top and the wild back is great. And I like what you've done with the control-cavity cover.

• Members

Hey,
Its funny, I don't even remember typing that!! It is not possible with a standard push/pull. You would need two stacked pots that would engage the shaft with the bottom pot when the shaft was down and then release and engage the top pot when the pot was up. Physically possible, I believe, but I have never seen one for guitars. Another million dollar idea? ;)
It would be cool though!

I should proofread my posts. :)
Jason

• Members

In fact its called "the Fly Shop!" :)

The flame detail starts as a veneer on the back of the headstock and then transitions into an inlay behind the headstock. So I first cut the flame detail into the veneer, then I traced it on the back of the neck, then I dremeled out the flame detail to a depth equal to the thickness of the veneer (just like a standard inlay). But between the flame and the headstock, I had to blend the depth of the cut (until the depth was zero at the headstock). I then glued on the veneer, trimmed the excess, and shaped the shoulders where the rosewood meets the ebony at a diagonal. Wow, that is fairly hard to explain in words. Here is a picture of the veneer glued before it was trimmed...

47522781.jpg

Archived