What can i use to clean my fretboard

Cas

• Members

Originally posted by Abrasion

Yep, it's called a cloth
;)

Steel wool works, though cover your pups.

Lemon oil, careful around frets though, as most is mixed with a solvent.

do not use steel wool on a maple fretboard , its fine on a rosewood board but I wouldnt use it on maple .

• Members

My tech book says to use a cloth and lighter fluid on a maple neck and don't use steel wool and lemon oil (because it doesn't need the oil).

On the rosewood necks it does talk about using only 0000 steel wool.

Personally, I just use a bit of rag and Gibson Fret board conditioner. It's some sort of oil (possibly lemon oil).

The steel wool routine is if you haved built up dirt. You can also use a plastic scraper that won't dig into the wood. You can also use Naptha to loosen dirt.

• Members

Originally posted by BigED

I'm being completely honest here with this recommendation: use your own spit. It's the universal solvent, and it's completely safe to use on wood. Soft rag + spit = clean fretboards, no afteraffects, no drying out, no sticky residue.

All great suggestions, but really spit does the trick for built up gunk. Really, the less polish you put on your guitar, the better.

• Members

Originally posted by peepin' tom

I've always used a bit of WD40 and a rag - it dissolves any crud on the neck, and shines up the frets nicely.

Also works well on the strings - a bit like fast-fret.

Mate i dont know how good WD40 would be for the wood to be honest.

BTW i am in Exeter as well, drop me a pm ;)

• Members

Originally posted by peepin' tom

My main guitar's got a rosewood neck, so I would think it'd be ok. I wouldn't use it on a maple neck, as they're more porous.

Anyway, Hi fellow devonian
;)
I'm playing with my band upstairs at The Globe, Newtown, Exeter on friday, pop along and say hi.

hi there man :) so a Mansons' local as well?

• Members

Originally posted by StringSnapse

do not use steel wool on a maple fretboard , its fine on a rosewood board but I wouldnt use it on maple .

Nothing wrong with using it on maple itself, just the laquer most maple fretboards have.

If it's not finished, then you're good to go :cool:

• Members

Originally posted by StringSnapse

ya , whens the last time you have seen a raw maple fretboard on a comercially produced guitar.

Quite a few brands that aren't fender don't laquer their maple boards.

Im not sure what they are though, I don't really care for maple :)

Archived