Wiring pickups in series questions ???

Gravity

• Members

I've found schematics that show how to do it ... so that's not a problem

questions are though ...

1. can this only be done with a pair of single coils ?

2. does one of the two pickups need to be RW/RP for this to work right? or is this a hum issue?

• Members

I've done this with less than stellar results. The resulting in series tone was very dark and muddy. Think about it, your normal single coil is somewhere around 6k ohms; your typical PAF style humbucker is in the 7-8k ohm range. If you place two standard single coils in series you'll get around 12k ohms! Mud city.

• Members

Originally posted by GuitArtMan

I've done this with less than stellar results. The resulting in series tone was very dark and muddy. Think about it, your normal single coil is somewhere around 6k ohms; your typical PAF style humbucker is in the 7-8k ohm range. If you place two standard single coils in series you'll get around 12k ohms! Mud city.

Oversimplification...I have a SD bridge humbucker which is at about 22k, and NOT muddy at all.

I have modified the circuit of the guitar it's mounted on and I have some series combos, and none of them is muddy.

• Members

Originally posted by brikus

Oversimplification...I have a SD bridge humbucker which is at about 22k, and NOT muddy at all.

I have modified the circuit of the guitar it's mounted on and I have some series combos, and none of them is muddy.

You said it - you have to modify the circuit. Does this modification make the stock single coils sound bright and thin, or do you switch components in/out depending on the pickups selected?

Of course one mans mud is another mans warm, and one mans crisp and clear is another mans harsh and piercing. I still say that without a circuit modification simply wiring two strat (or tele) pickups in series yields a dark, muddy tone. At least to my ears.

• Members

You said it - you have to modify the circuit. Does this modification make the stock single coils sound bright and thin, or do you switch components in/out depending on the pickups selected?

nope. When I said modification, I was talking about the switching enabling me to toggle between series and parallel. That's all. The rest of the circuit has been completely left untouched.

The single coils still sound balanced, as no change has been brought the the circuit. It's just that I'm now able to get some series combinations, which, I repeat, really cook. :cool:

• Members
Originally posted by brikus

nope. When I said modification, I was talking about the switching enabling me to toggle between series and parallel. That's all. The rest of the circuit has been completely left untouched.

The single coils still sound balanced, as no change has been brought the the circuit. It's just that I'm now able to get some series combinations, which, I repeat, really cook.
:cool:

Whatever floats your boat. I personally didn't care for the series combinations, I guess others do.

• Members

Whatever floats your boat. I personally didn't care for the series combinations, I guess others do.

it has a lot to do with the respective powers and characteristics of the pups you want to put in series.

Archived