"Warming up"- mic newb question

• Members

Hey all-

Newb-esque mic question:

Just got my first tube mic yesterday (a used MXL V69ME). I believe I've read in various product reviews, etc., that people tend to let mics warmup for a period (24 hours? less? more?) before recording.

Can anyone shed any light on what is behind this practice and if it I am indeed recalling correctly/that this is AOK to do?

The V69 has its own power supply (for those not familiar w/it) and I want to be sure I don't make any rookie mistakes by doing something I shouldn't...

Thanks in advance for the knowledge!

LM

I usually let tube mics warm up for one hour or so before tracking. That allows things to, well, get warm, the circuit to stabilize and everything to settle down. If you try to just turn it on and immediately track with it, the tone can / will change as the mic warms up... so give it a bit between powering it on and tracking with it.

Also, it's a good idea to let it cool down for an hour or so between turning it off and moving it / taking it down. IMO, that helps with tube life.

Congrats on your new mic. :cool:

• Members

Thanks, Phil and where!

To ask what is probably a horribly inane question as follow-up:

By "position them with the element down", I'm assuming you just mean placing the mic upside down?

Thanks again!!

LM

Now I actually have to (gulp) sing into it. Poor mic. :-)

Archived