Is Alcohol safe for guitar?

expertune

• Members

Originally posted by expertune

Well, I ran out Gibson "Luthier's choice" lubricant (damn, I hate "lubricant",unreal, lol)...

I am trying to use 100% alcohol cleaning my strings. Is it safe for the neck, finger board and body?

Thanks

No.

You'll ruin the fretboard. It'll totally dry out the fretboard, and the fretboard may begin to crack.

Some folks use rubbing alcohol to clean the fretboard, but they then put oils on it. Plus, it's only done many once a year.

• Members

Originally posted by AtomHeartMother

No.

You'll ruin the fretboard. It'll totally dry out the fretboard, and the fretboard may begin to crack.

Some folks use rubbing alcohol to clean the fretboard, but they then put oils on it. Plus, it's only done many once a year.

Thanks. Darn, I used a little already. But it's 100%, so disappeared right away. I would not do that again. I just Lemon oiled my Godin rosewood finger board.

Well, now, another question:

IS 100% Alcohol DRINKABLE? I do not want to waste it. ;-)

• Members

Thanks. Darn, I used a little already. But it's 100%, so disappeared right away. I would not do that again. I just Lemon oiled my Godin rosewood finger board.

Depends on what kind of alcohol it is.

Personally, I wouldn't drink it regardless. Give it to some teenagers or something. They drink mouthwash to get drunk.

I'm sure that timmy forumite guy would take it from you.

• Members

Originally posted by AtomHeartMother

Depends on what kind of alcohol it is.

Personally, I wouldn't drink it regardless. Give it to some teenagers or something. They drink mouthwash to get drunk.

I'm sure that timmy forumite guy would take it from you.

Hoho....

• Members

The last time I was at the guitar store, I checked out a bottle of string cleaner that I hadn't used before (can't remember the brand, clear bottle with white cap). It smelled exactly like rubbing alcohol. The store owner was convinced that that's all it is, also.

If you just put it on a rag and pinch the string to clean it, it should be fine. Whatever doesn't wipe off will evaporate quickly.

• Members

Drink away as long as it is ethyl.... not methyl... Rubbing alcohol is just going to turn into acetone (nail polish remover) once it hits your liver. So at least it will clean your liver of that nail polish and paint you somehow ate as a child while helping to crystallize you liver and cause many health problems for ya :eek:

Hehe, beer is stil good. AND yes 100% ethyl alchol is drinkable (if you can get it down) AND it can remove finishes from wood furniture.:love:

• Members

It's a shortscale guitar. Tiny little bastard.

Rubbing alcohol won't hurt maple as must as rosewood. You can use cotton swabs and clean the strings, and wood polish to clean the fretboard.

Rubbing alcohol is NOT safe to drink. My grandfather used to run it through a loaf of bread and drink it first. It made it a bit safeR to drink, but still not really.

• Members

Ooh... Not too sure there dude... My drink of choice is Spirytus, (can buy it at most good bottle shops) it's 95% and is deffinatley safe to drink. A couple swigs from the flask along with a couple brews and you're set for the night. That extra 5% might be pushing it though.

I didn't think you could physically get 100% alcohol? I never was any good with chemistry, but i was told somewhere that it's only possible to go to 99. something...?

Archived