LP, cracked pickup mounting rings. ??

math2014

• Members

Hi all,

Ok so my neck pup mounting ring has developed a crack. Several people around told me that this is normal-ish on carved top Lespauls with non radiused pup mounting rings.

Anyhow, is that whats causing it?

Should i superglue the crack and radius the bottom of the existing ring?

Get a new one and radius it?

Any ideas?

Yannis

Its a Tokai LS85Q MIJ btw.

• Members

Originally posted by math2014

Hi all,

Ok so my neck pup mounting ring has developed a crack. Several people around told me that this is normal-ish on carved top Lespauls with non radiused pup mounting rings.

Anyhow, is that whats causing it?

Should i superglue the crack and radius the bottom of the existing ring?

Get a new one and radius it?

Any ideas?

Yannis

Its a Tokai LS85Q MIJ btw.

I've had two crack on older Les Paul's that had probably just gold old and brittle. The neck ring is quite thin. Also, the plastic was wearing away where I had screwed in and out a few times.

Are these the original mounting rings? I don't think any of my rings are particularly radiused, or not that i've noticed anyway. You can try supergule, but if it has cracked around the screw hole it won't be very stable.

• Members

Originally posted by math2014

It cracked right in the middle, at the thin part, were the most stress from the radiusing goes.

They were the stock rings on the Tokai LP (and other Tokai and Gibson users reported this).

What do you reckon? Just radius the next one?

You can buy arched ones, but I didn't think there was much of a difference *shrugs*

The one on my old Columbus was really, really thin at the lowest edge, and got sick of me changing pickups all the time :D

• Members

Originally posted by TheDarxide

You can buy arched ones, but I didn't think there was much of a difference *shrugs*

The one on my old Columbus was really, really thin at the lowest edge, and got sick of me changing pickups all the time
:D

i think i ll just arch some myself.

Archived