01V96V2 vs AW2400

• Members

Hi guys, I'm new here.

I'm getting back into recording and I'm trying to figure out the best direction. Anyway, I write, play drums and guitar so I would like to have a decent amount of good pres. My modest experience is with analog but I'm tech savy and I feel I could get up to speed on either. I'd like to hear some opinions on these two or their competitors. At this point I'm more concerned with quality audio as opposed to Midi or keyboard uses.

Thanks

Hi Mitch, and welcome to the forums. :wave:

The Yamaha preamps are actually pretty good IMO. I used to use a pair of the (now discontinued) AW4416's, and their main problem was a lack of maximum gain on the mic preamps - they topped out at 45 dB. The newer AW series models are supposed to have even better preamps with a bit more gain on tap. I have not heard the AW2400 yet, but I've been told that they sit somewhere in between the old AW4416 and the 01V96 mic preamps, in terms of sound quality. I actually really like the preamps on my 01V96... I don't use them for everything (I have some outboard preamps), but I'm not aganst using them on things either - they really do sound good and clean. They have about 65 dB of gain available, are pretty "neutral" in timbre, and at anything short of max gain, they're pretty darned quiet too.

One thing - and please excuse me if you're already aware of this - is that the AW series units are "studios in a box" and have recorders built into them, as well as the mixer features. The 01V96 is strictly a mixer and a DAW fader control unit, and lacks any onboard recording capabilities.

• Members

Thanks for replying Phil

I'm aware that the 1200 is pretty much self contained. I'm still batting around which type of setup to go with as well as the equipment. Since they are both in that same price range as well as that 1200f by Mackie.

Let me ask you this: Are you recording to a DAW or a Multitrack such as an ADAT with that 01v96. Also does the 01v96 play pretty with the DAWs?

Thanks

I use Pro Tools LE (Digi 002) with a PC. The 01V96 gets used for lots of things... I send mics into it and then on to the 002 via lightpipe, I use it for monitoring (cue mixes are done via the 01V96, as well as control room monitoring), DAW fader control (while the 002 has 8 DAW fader controls, the 01V96 gives me 16 more), and I usually mix through it too.

It works great in conjunction with Pro Tools.

• Members

I'm an old AW4416 user and loved the sound of that box. I augmented it pretty quick with outboard pres for the reason our fearless leader pointed out. Protools with a digi002 would be a good way to go but more expensive, but worth it if you want to edit on the screen. If this is to be primarily a writing tool try the AW. There were plenty of them in writing rooms in Nashville for a long time just because of their ease of use and quality sound.

My two bits.

Spencer

BTW, I did listen to an AW2400 at a store yesterday, and it sounded good. Operating system seemed pretty easy to use too - but again, I'm quite familiar with the Yamaha way of doing things... but still, I generally find their user interaces to be easy to use and logical.

My main concern with the 2400 would be lack of tracks at 24 bit - IIRC, it's only 12 tracks at that resolution. :( But you can always lock two of them together. ;)

• Members

Yes, not to yearn for things past or never to be, but I do wish Yamaha would have come out with a 24 48 machine with 24 tracks and the possibility to expand to 32+ with all the connectivity it already provided on the 4416 AND graphic editing. There's a good chance I would never have made the leap to pro tools and I might never have left that lovely discussion group on yahoo with those nice fellow awers. Before I left the AW I thought 'latency' was forgetting my watch.

Spencer

• Members

Ok so

You run your 01v96 into the Digi 002 then to the computer.

Let me ask you this, suppose I wanted to record a guitar track and then sit on the drums and play to the track and record. How many tracks would the light pipe allow me to record? Is it just the 8 that the adat allows or is it possible to sum in the Mic or line inputs of the 002 simultaneously.

Archived