went to the gibson store in nashville today

cerebrix

• Members

ok so i fly into nashville to check out tn.

my first stop, the gibson store at opry mills mall. im thinking this should be sweet right?

ok first off, every gibson anything there is at LIST price. i about laughed my butt off at that one. cause i know i wanna pay 1200 for a samick made epiphone lol or bettter yet, 70 dollars for a sweatshirt. then only to make matters the guitars there i dont think have been dusted in probobly a month, it was kinda nasty. i dunno wtf is up w/ the back of the store, like half of it has just random crap laid everywhere, closed display shelves etc.

maybe when i head down to memphis that one will be better but i dunno, i think i understand a little bit better why all the gibson hate is goin on. this is one of 2 flagship stores to promote their product and ive seen more care go into the displays at the 7-11 at my house.

i actually had an urge to go to GC after this. if that isnt sayin somethin, i dunno what does lol.

• Members

Originally posted by cerebrix

i think i understand a little bit better why all the gibson hate is goin on.

pretty sure you don't get it. People bash them because they are one of the "Big Boys", and they sell expensive toys, that many kiddies can't afford. It then boils down to "i can't afford it, but thats okay because they {censored}ing suck anyway." rationalization makes people feel better.;)

dons flame suit

• Members

The way Gibson is going, in less than 10 years you're only going to be able to buy Gibsons from Gibson's own stores...and will HAVE to pay list price.

Gibson is positioning itself to become the "Harley-Davidson" of guitars...whether that's a good thing or not, I will leave it up to you to decide.

• Members

ill be back by there sometime in the next week. if they allow picture taking ill snap some shots to show you guys the horrid state of this store.

if theyre trying to become the "harley davidson" of guitars then they might wanna try to become the harley davidson of the 21st century rather than the b.o. infested sweaty version of the 70's lol. seriously i was in shock how BADLY kept all the guitars, and the store was. every store in that mall is pretty much spotless. then when you get to gibson, it feels more like a redneck pawn shop rather than a high end showcase for a premier musical instrument manufacturer. seriously.

by contrast i hit two other mom and pop guitar shops that were immaculate, staffed w/ serious musicians, and shockingly seemed to mostly carry fender and martin lol.

• Members
Originally posted by BootRoots

pretty sure you don't get it. People bash them because they are one of the "Big Boys", and they sell expensive toys, that many kiddies can't afford. It then boils down to "i can't afford it, but thats okay because they {censored}ing suck anyway." rationalization makes people feel better.
;)

dons flame suit

Looks more like you poured gasoline all over yourself...

• Members

Originally posted by Dean Medlock

Gibson is positioning itself to become the "Harley-Davidson" of guitars...whether that's a good thing or not, I will leave it up to you to decide.

aren't they already the harley davidson of guitars?:confused: seems like they tap that boomer with disposable income market that harley relys on

• Members

aren't they already the harley davidson of guitars?
:confused:
seems like they tap that boomer with disposable income market that harley relys on

I meant more or less how they are marketed and sold. I mean it happens occasionally, but I don't know too many people who don't pay less than MSRP (usually it's more) when buying a Hardley.

• Members

My strat has been more reliable than any Bonne ive seen :p

Gibson do seem to be screwing themselves over a lot recently.

Over at ML this year, even on the Gibson display stand, they had some real dogs hanging up. You'd think they'd chose some good ones to promote the range!

• Members

pretty sure you don't get it. People bash them because they are one of the "Big Boys", and they sell expensive toys, that many kiddies can't afford. It then boils down to "i can't afford it, but thats okay because they {censored}ing suck anyway." rationalization makes people feel better.
;)

dons flame suit

I have to disagree with you on that one. I am not a "kiddie" and I have the cash in my guitar fund right now to go out and buy a Gibson LP. Of course, I normally don't bash them, I just don't give a rat's ass about them. Maybe that is the difference between a "kiddies" response to Gibson, and a grownups :idea:

• Members

I have a 93 studio LP, bought used for $500, that is my favorite axe.

That being said ... if I ever feel the need to drop $1,500-$2,000 on a guitar, I sure as hell am not going to drop it on a mass produced, factory, guitar like a Gibson.

I'd talk to a small operation luthier about exactly what I want and then he would painstakingly go over every little part of the guitar while building it.

You can't get that kind of quality on an assembly line.

Comparing Gibson to Harley seems about right.

You pay for the name.

That's why I wouldn't buy a new Gibson.

• Members

hmm I've noticed quite a few "flagship" stores have horrible prices. As an example, ever go to the Sony Store??? half the stuff there I can get for at least 15-30% cheaper at any Best Buy:freak: ..... maybe even more when it comes to the big stuff like plasma TV's, etc

that being said, I love Gibsons and theres so many deals to be had on them if you look, that its just rediculous. BUT you have to look. I just got a mint 05 standard burst SG for 800$ (900$ out the door after canadian taxes). I'm yet to play another guitar in that price range to match this, or even in higher price ranges....

• Members

;)

dons flame suit

no flame here. I actually agree with you.

• Members

Originally posted by BlackHatHunter

no flame here. I actually agree with you.

+1 to that, lol I do it for BMW's (even though I know they kick ass lol) but I'm getting a volvo s40, so thats better than any BMW right, I mean BMW's suck anyway so who cares:)

• Members

Originally posted by Alchemist

hmm I've noticed quite a few "flagship" stores have horrible prices. As an example, ever go to the Sony Store??? half the stuff there I can get for at least 15-30% cheaper at any Best Buy:freak: ..... maybe even more when it comes to the big stuff like plasma TV's, etc

I think most 'flagship' company retail stores serve to feed the CEO's ego rather than promote the company and the products. I've seen this in other industries. It must be a pain to work at one since you know bigwigs are going to be dropping by to show off the place.

• Members

I went to the Gibson store at opry mills about 5 years ago.. you could hear crickets in there.. Shame on me for thinking that it would be worthwhile to go to the Gibson store in a mall.

If you want deals in gibsons, go to some of the shops in town.. Guitar heaven is a pretty decent place. They have a lot more than what you see on the website. http://www.gtrheaven.com

If you go back to the opry mills, skip the gibson store and check out all the ass walking around the place ;)

• Members

Originally posted by Gitfiddler

I went to the Gibson store at opry mills about 5 years ago.. you could hear crickets in there.. Shame on me for thinking that it would be worthwhile to go to the Gibson store in a mall.

If you want deals in gibsons, go to some of the shops in town.. Guitar heaven is a pretty decent place. They have a lot more than what you see on the website.
http://www.gtrheaven.com

If you go back to the opry mills, skip the gibson store and check out all the ass walking around the place
;)

you wouldnt by chance happen to know where i can get a setup done one a sunday do ya? (just basic one)

Archived