The Real Bill Lawrence????

cosmiccharlie9

• Members

There are 2 Bill Lawrence Pickup sites on the web. One says the other guy isn't really Bill Lawrence. If I wanna try a BL pup in my Tele which is the real pickup? (By that I mean the one that people like Roy Buchanan used). Does anybody know the truth about this? Or at least can anybody recommend a non shielded neck pup for my Tele that doesn't involve an identity crisis?

• Members

Originally posted by cosmiccharlie9

There are 2 Bill Lawrence Pickup sites on the web. One says the other guy isn't really Bill Lawrence. If I wanna try a BL pup in my Tele which is the real pickup? (By that I mean the one that people like Roy Buchanan used). Does anybody know the truth about this? Or at least can anybody recommend a non shielded neck pup for my Tele that doesn't involve an identity crisis?

Neither of them are named "Bill Lawrence" (well one of the guys had his name legally changed, but that doesn't count).

But the guy most people claim to be the "real deal" despite not actually being named Bill Lawrence is the guy who doesn't have any legal recourse to anything except the fact that he had his name legally changed to Bill Lawrence (from some German sounding name), whereas the other guy didn't, but his factory produces "Bill Lawrence" pickups because he owns the trademark of "Bill Lawrence".

Personally, I would go with Seymour Duncan or Dimarzio, rather than giving either of those two snake oil peddlars a wooden nickle. :mad:

• Members

The "Bill Lawrence" that is the original designer and person that continues to design new pickups and other guitar stuff is at www.billlawrence.com He is extremely knoweldeable with guitar electronics and he is happy to share what he knows.

I have a l-280tl bridge pickup in nelsonic tele copy and man it is great. Just upgraded all the pots, switch, output jack, cap, and wiring which really improved the tone further. I also just got a fender scn neck tele pickup which Bill designed) that i will install soon.

• Members

Never trust anybody who isn't willing to admit to a few warts on their gear.

It's like believing somebody who rates their gear a perfect 10. You just know that there has to be some pimples on the booty, despite the hype.

Never had anything that was perfect, but maybe that just means I haven't tried Bill Lawrence pickups yet. :rolleyes:

• Members

I have decided that it is time for me to toss my hat into the ring. I am the real Bill Lawrence.

I have spent 20 years selling lawn furniture and expensive juicers, but it is now time to get back to my true love: making electric guitar pickups in lawn chairs while drinking natural fruit juice.

You can buy my pickups at www.therealbilllawrenceusa.com.

To alleviate confusion from all the other Bill Lawrences out there, I have decided to name my pickups L500 and L500XL, which is an original name not designed to fool anyone.

I look forward to your business.

//S

• Members

"Bill Lawrence" may make some decent pickups, but the whole reason he's got so many clones out there is that he's not such a good businessman.

In addition to

Bill Lawrence and

Bill Lawrence USA

there's also

OBL (Original Bill Lawrence)

Wylde

Lawrence Sound Research

etc.

• Members

Originally posted by Kap'n

"Bill Lawrence" may make some decent pickups, but the whole reason he's got so many clones out there is that he's not such a good businessman.

In addition to

Bill Lawrence and

Bill Lawrence USA

there's also

Wylde

Lawrence Sound Research

etc.

Or maybe because his pickups are just pickups? That's what all pickups are. They are pickups. There is no magic to making them, despite any moronic claims to the contrary.

And no, I don't care to read any more versions of 'pickupology'. Making pickups is not a philosophy. It's just winding wires and bobbins and choosing magnets, and then trying to shill the different ways of making them to the buying public who are often tricked into believing that there is magic involved in a particular manufacturing method. :rolleyes:

• Members

Originally posted by Oyaji

Or maybe because his pickups are just pickups? That's what all pickups are. They are pickups. There is no magic to making them, despite any moronic claims to the contrary.

And no, I don't care to read any more versions of 'pickupology'. Making pickups is not a philosophy. It's just winding wires and bobbins and choosing magnets, and then trying to shill the different ways of making them to the buying public who are often tricked into believing that there is magic involved in a particular manufacturing method.
:rolleyes:

I agree, however, the same can be said for many music related products.

As far as the Bill Lawrence nonsense.....why the hell anyone would waste more than a minute trying to figure all that crap out to get the "right" BL is beyond me....there are many other pickup makers out there that one would never miss them.

I heard rumors that they're both going out of business soon anyway because people don't want to be bothered figuring out who the *real* BL is.....they take their money elsewhere as I would.

• Members

Bill, Becky and Shannon's L-290 and L-280 pickups are the cats whiskers! Very nice quack and Strat Vibe. They turned my Son's OLP MM4 into a GREAT sounding guitar that rivals most others, Fender included. I have SCN's in my Am Dlx Strat that are very nice sounding too. They were also designed by the Bill, Becky, Shannon trio. :)

• Members

Dude, your website isn't working. You need to call up the computer guys.

Originally posted by Shocker

I have decided that it is time for me to toss my hat into the ring. I am the real Bill Lawrence.

I have spent 20 years selling lawn furniture and expensive juicers, but it is now time to get back to my true love: making electric guitar pickups in lawn chairs while drinking natural fruit juice.

You can buy my pickups at
www.therealbilllawrenceusa.com.

To alleviate confusion from all the other Bill Lawrences out there, I have decided to name my pickups L500 and L500XL, which is an original name not designed to fool anyone.

I look forward to your business.

//S

• Members

I went ahead and bought a 280TN for my tele. I decided that if that guy is the Bill Lawrence Fender recognizes as well as the guy whose pups everybody has an opinion on (unlike the others which it seems no one does), I should give it a try.

Unfortunately I am not in the market for any lawn furniture. For $40.00 I had to give it a try.

• Members

I have a Lawrence L500 pup that I've never used and was thinking of tossing it in my HSS Strat to see how it sounds. It's got blade poles and it's a cream and black zebra.

I don't remember where I got it from and I've had it for maybe about 20 or 25 years.

Which Bill Lawrence do you think made this one? Are these good sounding pups? Do they have a high, low, or medium output?

• Members

Originally posted by Richard Guy

Bill, Becky and Shannon's L-290 and L-280 pickups are the cats whiskers! Very nice quack and Strat Vibe. They turned my Son's OLP MM4 into a GREAT sounding guitar that rivals most others, Fender included. I have SCN's in my Am Dlx Strat that are very nice sounding too. They were also designed by the Bill, Becky, Shannon trio.
:)

Yeah, they're really nice people to deal with. I put the L-280TN/L-290TL combo in my Tele, and they're amazing.

• Members

Wylde

Lawrence Sound Research

etc.

OBL and Wylde are names used by the "real" Bill Lawrence, www.billlawrence.com, I believe Lawrence Sound Research may too, not sure. The "real" Bill also helped Fender with the design of their new Samarium Cobalt noiseless pickups. He is a legit pickup designer and has been doing it for a long time, I used some of his pickups in the late 70s (DOH! There I go dating myself again).

Roger

• Members

Originally posted by devastone

OBL and Wylde are names used by the "real" Bill Lawrence,
www.billlawrence.com,
I believe Lawrence Sound Research may too, not sure. The "real" Bill also helped Fender with the design of their new Samarium Cobalt noiseless pickups. He is a legit pickup designer and has been doing it for a long time, I used some of his pickups in the late 70s (DOH! There I go dating myself again).

Roger

Actually "Lawrence Sound Research" aka LSR is now the company that Bill likes to call the 'fake' company, Bill Lawrence USA.:confused:

Wylde is a name Bill uses for guitars that his current company makes.

Swampkaster, is the name the 'fake' BL puts on his guitars.

OBL is a company that Bill ran between working for the real and fake companies.

There are some other ones as well.

Are you confused yet?:freak:

• Members

Why hasn't the american government solved this simple case yet?????

Why does it matter who is the "REAL" bill lawrence??? The pickups from both comanies are very real. You will either like them or not.

The dispute is nothing more than a trade name dispute.It has nothing to do with the quality of pickups.

Don't waste time taking sides in these men's lifelong squable and hatred.

THERE IS NO FAKE BILL LAWRENCE. THEY ARE BOTH VERY REAL.... annoying pieces of {censored}.

• Members

Originally posted by Gaf-Yag-A-Ton

The dispute is nothing more than a trade name dispute.It has nothing to do with the quality of pickups.

Essentially you're correct. I'd would guess that the quality of the pickups does vary some from one Bill Lawrence to another. :freak:

Defenders of the Real Bill Lawrence seem to have this cult thing going. Really pretty strange, like Scientology, or folks who buy Bose stuff.

• Members

I'd would guess that the quality of the pickups does vary some from one Bill Lawrence to another.
:freak:

Likely. yah.

I meant "sound quality" (tone). I met a dude in another forum who swears by the lawrenceUSA l-250's.

He won't play anything else. "fake/real" means nothing to him.

Nor should it to anyone (in this particular dispute).

I grew tired of those clowns after 1 minute of trying to glean something productive from the l-250 harmony central user reviews. Instead, all I got was a degree in trademark law (and a dimarzio chopper).

Archived