Japanese 62' Strat

jvhc

• Members

Theres two models - you can get 57s and 62s with either Texas specials or US vintage pickups. I was wondering whether the two guitars in the links were the same models, 'cos one says its a premium one and one doesn't, yet it still may be.

I see you have two 62's, what pickups do you use in them, how do they sound?

Cheers!

• Members

my favourite (the am RI) has the fender 57/62s in and i can't say enough god things about them...for classic strat tones they are amazing - but some friends find them a little low output.... great vintage edge and vibe..

the MIJ has retrofitted bareknuckles in it - for a bit more kick but not harsh like the texas specials..still sounds very much like a strat should - it's my more rock guitar..

but tbh for nearly everything i use my 57/62s... just be sure you love the low output - for a lot of people used to modern styled pickups the old ones sound a bit low output and wiry in a lot of cases..........

sorry adjectives for pickups are ridiculous aren't they!

• Members

Fender Japan does not refer to their models as Re Issues...we do. They have several "catagories " I guess we could call them Vintage, Vintage Premium, Craft Premium, J-Craft, Vintage and Vintage Collection...I think thats everything.

Some folks are happy with the Texas Specials, others prefer the Vintage... hard to say whats better, depends on who`s playing.

• Members

the ST62G-80TX is one of the Craft Premium series in the catalogs.

I`ve noticed in my catalogs, for their strats only...NOT the basses and teles... FJ puts the Vintage p`ups in their lower priced basswood bodies and the Texas Specials in the higher end ash and alder models. I`m not saying one is better than the other but for whatever reason, that appears to be FJs strategy.

So if you want an alder or ash body, go for the Texas p`ups...basswood?...get the Vintage p`ups.

• Members

Originally posted by zenbu

the ST62G-80TX is one of the Craft Premium series in the catalogs.

Fender Japan does not refer to their models as Re Issues...we do.

Hmmm...Maybe it is a marketing fluke, but Ishibashi refers some models as specific year "models" or "versions".

Is it appropriate to use the model prefix

"ST58", "ST62", etc. to generically speak of '58 and '62 "reissues"?

See these listrings:

http://www.excite.co.jp/world/english/web/body/?wb_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ishibashi.co.jp%2Fwebshop%2Fguitar%2Ffender-j%2Fst-index.htm&wb_lp=JAEN&wb_dis=2

• Members

I'm liking the ST62-58US in vintage white. 46,400 yen comes to $384.01USD. Figure in the $120 or so shipping and it's right about at $500.

It doesn't say if it includes a case and I'm guessing it doesn't. That could be the deal breaker.

• Members

well yes the first digits in the model number are the year, followed by the digits in thousands of yen. FJ did and continues to make special runs for the chain shops here so all bets are off regarding those...I`m going by what shows up in the catalogs. I`ve no idea what Ishibashi has for FJs because I`m only interested in buying used and I got one a coule of years ago that is stamped IKEBE in the pock & on the neck but...thay are a chain here in Japan and it`s a 1954 replica and they went all out on these...it may be the best sounding strat I own bar none. The body is 2 pieces of ash in 2 tone burst but they are so well matched it looks like one, came with full size US electronics and MIA p`ups. An outstanding guitar.

• Members

Originally posted by zenbu

well yes the first digits in the model number are the year, followed by the digits in thousands of yen. FJ did and continues to make special runs for the chain shops here so all bets are off regarding those...I`m going by what shows up in the catalogs. I`ve no idea what Ishibashi has for FJs because I`m only interested in buying used and I got one a coule of years ago that is stamped IKEBE in the pock & on the neck but...thay are a chain here in Japan and it`s a 1954 replica and they went all out on these...it may be the best sounding strat I own bar none. The body is 2 pieces of ash in 2 tone burst but they are so well matched it looks like one, came with full size US electronics and MIA p`ups. An outstanding guitar.

Maybe it comes down to a "style" or "version" being close enough. Some reissues are museum replicas down to the last detail (and expensive).

I do believe that an ST62-70 (fitted with vintage style pups rather than TX) is closer to an original '62 than a MIM Classic 60's.

It must be a kick having access to the best in Japanese guitars! :cool:

Archived