Found a use for 8 bit dither - eq sweeping

• Members

Last night I was eq'ing a snare drum track that had an annoying little ring. I could clearly hear the pitch of the ring - but sweeping with the eq precisely was hard because the drum hits were intermittent. It was a bit like tuning a guitar to a piano - except the 'guitar' was cutting in and out all the time.

I usually create a sharp peak with hi Q, and then when i've found the ring, I reverse the peak to make it a notch. As long as there is some sound present, you can hear the pitch of the filter, like a synth filter.

Except there wasn't any sound present in between hits, and I started wishing I could mix in some white noise just to hear the filter. I use Cubase SX3, I thought about the white noise sources I had, but none of them could be mixed in easily with the audio track. (I suppose I could have created a group, and fired up a soft synth for white noise ... lot of work).

Then I remembered the Apogee dither plugin makes audible white noise on the 8 bit setting. It's ideal for this application - it's fast and easy to load this before the eq, and gives just enough white noise to hear your filter as you sweep. I'll be using this a lot more I think.

Afterwards, I though I could probably use a reverb with a long tail for a similar effect - it could prolong the snare ring sound, and provide some background noise so I can hear the filter.

For what it's worth.

• Members

Yeah - I loop stuff too, I was looping a few bars as it was. But looping a single drum hit so it sounds like a stuck CD can drive you crazy.

This is just a trick that worked for me - it's like working with pitched white noise from a synth, its nice to be able to hear exactly the pitch of your eq when you want to.

• Members

Call me crazy, but I found it alot easier to try and correct the sound of the snare and adjust mic placement rather than trying to get rid of the ring in the mix.

I ended up just getting a drier snare head and using one of those mylar donuts to cut down on the snare ring. Record without the ring and no more ring :)

• Members

Agreed. Although I don't like those dead ringer things as much as some well placed gaffer tape. The rings have a sound of their own that I don't like, a sort of fluttery buzzy sound.

This was just a trick I found that might be useful to somebody some time.

• Members

Originally posted by Kiwiburger

YeBut looping a single drum hit so it sounds like a stuck CD can drive you crazy.

That's never bothered me. I'm sure it drives my neighbors crazy though :evil:

One guy that lived in the same hall as me during college loves to tell people the story about the time I left some music looping and blasting for hours while I was away from my room. Oops. :o Apparently the whole hall was angry or something

Archived