Godin Radiator

Rada

• Members

Was heading back home with my girlfriend after a day with her parents, and we stopped at a yard sale. Well, there was a *BRAND NEW* Godin Radiator lying around and the woman gave it to me for $20!!! Pefect condition, perfect set up, looked like it had never really been used!! I've always been a fan of the Radiator's look, but never sat down and played one....well I took it home, plugged it into my Orange, and this little thing is a lot of fun to play and VERY comfortable!

Pleasantly surprised it could really handle some nice blues tones, some heavier classic rock and some lighter metal tones, but it really excells at surf, slide and country style music all of which I've been getting into lately.... I'm still shocked I got it for $20 because after I called up my local Godin dealer he told me it usually sells for $300(which still isn't bad considering how great it is)!!

This is with out a doubt my best score!! Well, my girlfriend paid for it....we agreed it was the least she could do after forcing me to spend so many hours with her family!!!

Don't have a digital camera, but this is what it looks like

gtrradiators.jpg

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by BlackHatHunter

you can get them on ebay for $150-250, so this was definitely a score. I love them too. They're so cheap, yet of great quality, and you can play the hell out of them on stage. Great little guitars.

So, you've used one live? What kind of music did you play with it?

• Members
Originally posted by BlackHatHunter

much to my dismay, CMT top-40 type music
:D

It was a fun band, but I quit over the song selection. I have nothing against playing country music, but what they chose just drove me crazy!

they made you sing shania twain didnt they?:cry:

• Members

I just recently started getting into country music and I have to say, this guitar's ability to get some great country tones is a very big reason why I'm loving it soooo much! But, yeah, it does seem like country music has more than its fair share of crap on the top 40 so I can understand why you wanted out

Now, I just need to get a slide for it....anybody play slide? I know nothing about slides:o

• Members

Sure, ummm, youre just going to have to experiment here, theres brass, steel, glass... heck you can use a beer bottle. I prefer dunlop SS slides. Try a few and take the one you feel gives you the tone you desire. As far as the guitar,you just have to raise the action a tad and put on some thicker strings, I find playing slide with anything under 11's isnt very pleasing.

• Members

Originally posted by Alchemist

sir, prepare for a bidding war!, I offer 31$, and umm half a pack of Excel Inferno Gum! I DARE!!!! you to top that matt, I dare you!

I have $31.42, a half-can of Planters Mixed Nuts (not the {censored}ty kind that are almost all peanuts), 14 AOL CD-ROMs, and a condom that is in as-new condition.

• Members

Originally posted by mattburnside

I have $31.42, a half-can of Planters Mixed Nuts (not the {censored}ty kind that are almost all peanuts), 14 AOL CD-ROMs, and a condom that is in as-new condition.

ok, I see youre playing hardball, my 31$ still stands, the half pack of Excel Inferno actualy has one less gum than before, but I will replace it in "previously-chewed" condition, I have a stack of calculus notes with random scribblings, 3 replacement .05 HB mechanical pencil leads, one NHL pamphlet for the Ottawa senators, 2 used AA batteries, one Dutch only instruction manual for a Minolta SLR camera, one oreo cookie (cream removed), and a an old highlighter!

• Members

err...since I'm a lesbian I have no need for those condoms, so I think the winner is going to be the Alchemist with his oreos (cream removed)....God, I've been craving some of those!!

I'll be expecting my check for the grand total of $31 AND my oreos in a timely manner....

• Members
Originally posted by Alchemist

umm the oreo is however now half eaten, please forgive me:(

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Now you will have to perform various sex acts with me AND my girlfriend (at the same time of course...) to compensate for this half eaten oreo!!

• Members
Originally posted by Rada

:mad:

Now you will have to perform various sex acts with me AND my girlfriend (at the same time of course...) to compensate for this half eaten oreo!!

damn the luck!!! thats how they always get me:( ... I swear its like everytime I eat an oreo I end up in some lesbian orgy, why cant I just catch a break:mad:

• Members

I've actualy done full setup on one for a friend. I've also been meaning to buy one for a while but I always seem to miss the opportunity on used ones. Given that I set it up, I ofcourse also jammed with it for a while, I found its strongest qualities were for chimey rhythm, Beatles, Tom Petty etc, I kind of think of them as the poor mans Ric, as they can do a great chime for low dollars. From working on it, I can tell you that its built surprisingly well, especially for the money (as are most godins).

I notice you like to play blues (as do I), and they are neat for blues, not ideal, but with a darker amp they can crank out some great tones. And no, you cant really play metal on it lol, too much chime and headroom for that. But wow, the deal you got, I regularly spend more than that for individual cables:freak:

• Members

HAHAHAHA

Ok, back the the Radiator.....so does anyone else have one? they've been getting mixed reviews here, but then again the bad reviews are from people who were trying to play metallica on it
:rolleyes:

It is definitely a niche guitar, and it's no good for very heavy sounds. I've played them in a local store through all sorts of amps. They're very good for pop, country, surf...medium to low-gain type stuff. They have some of the snap of a Tele, but they're a bit more mellow and thick.

I would have bought it, but somebody beat me to it. It's on my short list (you don't want to see the long list)

• Members

While it's not the most BEAUTIFUL guitar I have, I must say it's definitely the COOLEST looking!!

You have to have an appreciation for kitsch, which I do. You have to enjoy the awesome badness that is mother-of-toilet-seat.

Here's the 12-string I have my eye on.

http://www.music123.com/Italia-Rimini-12-String-i129008.music

I think they saw how much MOTO was on the Radiator and said "Bah. We can do better."

Archived