How the hell do you play a 9-String guitar?

Tosis Maguill

• Members
Originally posted by anubae_obscura

U talkin bout one of those chapman stick type guitars? like tony levin from King Crimson/LTE uses? they call em tap guitars..not picked but all tapped...tuning? A#-Zmb5 i would guess
:D

Well, through the custom shop, I can get custom guitars. When it says strings, it gives the options of 6, 7, 8, 9, 12, or other.
Weird as hell, right?

• Members

Originally posted by Tosis Maguill

Well, through the custom shop, I can get custom guitars. When it says strings, it gives the options of 6, 7, 8, 9, 12, or other.

Weird as hell, right?

Sometimes it's like a 12 string setup, only not every string is doubled. My guess is that a 9 string guitar would have either the E, A, and D strings doubled with an octave string, or the G, B, and E strings doubled.

• Members

Originally posted by Tosis Maguill

Weird as hell, right?

Indeed it is brother...what is even more weird....player like Dino from Fear Factory and Meshuggah use 8 strings...but tend to stay on the low 3.....Ironic? Dont get me wrong i love both bands...but ....come on...

• Members

Originally posted by Prages

Sometimes it's like a 12 string setup, only not every string is doubled. My guess is that a 9 string guitar would have either the E, A, and D strings doubled with an octave string, or the G, B, and E strings doubled.

Ive seen acoustic guitars like this...good call....

• Members

Originally posted by anubae_obscura

Indeed it is brother...what is even more weird....player like Dino from Fear Factory and Meshuggah use 8 strings...but tend to stay on the low 3.....Ironic? Dont get me wrong i love both bands...but ....come on...

Whenever I hear that, I wonder if the extra two strings are higher than a "regular" 1st string or lower than a "regular" 6th string? If they're lower, then yeah, that's insane. The 8th string must sound like complete mud.

• Members

Originally posted by Prages

I had a guitar set like this when I bought it.I opted to fix the saddle and put all twelve on there. The nine was all right,it just feels funny,sounded good though.

• Members

Originally posted by The Eristic

Well, here's how you play 8:

I was going to post the Charlie Hunter site but you beat me to it. For anyone interested quite a few of his live shows can be found on etree.

Here's another 8 stringer with a similar style: http://www.billburke.net. If you live anywhere near Frederick, MD he plays once a month at a place called Firestones (third Sunday I think): http://www.firestonesrestaurant.com

• Members

where is said custom shop? my bro is dying for a 7 string bass

personally id enjoy the extra 3 strings. i have a guitar book aroud here w. this weird guitar that has 8, and has LED inlays

id love one that was tunned GbBEADGBEA only because id have an easier time with bass notes for classical and jazz songs..more range, less neck movement..

although you know you couldnt hold back the extra high notes on a high A for a solo

there are 14 string guitars, usually doublenecked, 2x BEADGBE and you tap em, its similar to playing a piano

• Members

Originally posted by bpc

I was going to post the Charlie Hunter site but you beat me to it. For anyone interested quite a few of his live shows can be found on etree.

Here's another 8 stringer with a similar style:
. If you live anywhere near Frederick, MD he plays once a month at a place called Firestones (third Sunday I think):

I live right up the road from Frederick so I guess I'll have to go check this guy out!

Archived