Management question?

rohr28

• Members

How to get management? Where to find management? Is it worth it to have it?

Does management work off of commission?

I'm in an original band and we just got our first legit album done. We are in a small town, and in a small area, Des Moines and Chicago would be the closest cities. I'm wondering about management because we need help getting out of our area and getting some press/notice outside of our vacant area.

Any suggestions would be great!

• Members

How to get management?

- call/mail

Where to find management?

- yellow pages/google

Is it worth it to have it?

- yes

- depends, you need to specify what need to have in the end. Mostly it's a bit less money, but more comfortable.

• Moderators

Managers want two things: a product that will be worth promoting, and one that will mke them $. It may be tough for an original band, though, since there typically is not much $changing hands as far as gigs go.

If you have exhausted the available venues where you are, have you managed to get any local press?

• Members

Daddymack you might be right, it isn't that we can't handle the load we have, but we need more opportunities for press and shows. I guess a better question would be who could help us get these outside of our area? If youre from a very small area how is buzz created outside of that area where it would actually lead to something?

• Moderators

you have two viable options, one is to build where you are, get all the local press you can, and gradually expand your territory. The other is to try to 'swap' gigs with bands in other towns...how to find these other bands and make the arrangements is the trick, but the internet is your friend...

• Members

How to get management? Where to find management? Is it worth it to have it?

I'm in an original band and we just got our first legit album done. We are in a small town, and in a small area, Des Moines and Chicago would be the closest cities. I'm wondering about management because we need help getting out of our area and getting some press/notice outside of our vacant area.

Any suggestions would be great!

I have to say I just saw your group and wow I always thought that type of band is a great idea. I always thought there should be a young Floyd throwback band with light show and all that. I love Syd Barrett and that whole thing back then.

I mean I would market yourself as an early Floyd cover band. For managers, I would get a referral though a music lawyer.

If you would do early Floyd.. man you could get bookings all over the world. Your actual sound as a band just isn't good for radio and I just don't see radio play, album sales, and promotions in the cards for you.

If you did an early Floyd cover band.. man, I would just go strait the UK to start. Forget the US. Just right to the UK to gig and then do all of Europe.

• Members

I've always subscribed to the notion that when you really need management, they will find you. If you can't find a manager, it's because you're not big enough yet to make someone $$$

As far as getting gigs in neighboring towns... I know you have music, 'cause you have a CD... do you have a decent website? Do you have a presence on Facebook as a band? Do you have a way to show clubs that people like you? That's first.

Second, start finding friends in the towns you want to play. Personal friends would be best, and facebook friends are okay, too... work on building that. Find the smaller clubs that you want to play, join their network, and see if any of their 'friends' like your music... or find bands that play there, that you would compliment...

When you have something to offer besides music (i.e., friends which might equal a 'draw'), then you might be able to get a gig...

Archived