Schecter tempest???

bluewolf

• Members

I have a goldtop with humbuckers. It is a nice guitar, and, while it's not my favorite, I can't seem to bring myself to sell it. I also have a goldtop Tele Special Edition which is a little classier, but I actually like the feel of the Schecter neck a bit better. I have to get rid of some guitars, so one of them is going to go in 2006...

If you get a Tempest for a good price, I think they are a great guitar, definitely near the top of the $300-$500 price range.

• Members

I have a Tempest Custom in white, and it is a hell of a guitar. When I was in the market for a new guitar I could have gone for something much more expensive but I went for the Tempest.

Great neck, comfortable body and weight. Just throw some new pickups in there (I didnt like the Duncan Designed) and you have a guitar that can run with the big boys any day of the week.

• Members

that gold top tempest looks so cool. Pop in a pair of Lindy fralin p90's and it would be one sweet blues machine. If i'm not wrong, didnt Schecter make a semi-hollow version of the tempest?? And the tempest is all solid wood, maple on top with a mahogany body, right??? Is Schecter making them any more???

• Members

I've got the same thing as "go cat go's" Gold top (the older Tempest Special) except that mine is a vintage sunburst. Great guitar. I've replaced the Duncan designed P-90's with Dimarzio Tone Zone P-90 humbuckers. Throw on some 10's and it's a heavy sounding guitar. I do with the neck joint was different. Has the same problem as Les Pauls in that soloing at the top is a bit tough.

• Members

Originally posted by bluewolf

that gold top tempest looks so cool. Pop in a pair of Lindy fralin p90's and it would be one sweet blues machine. If i'm not wrong, didnt Schecter make a semi-hollow version of the tempest?? And the tempest is all solid wood, maple on top with a mahogany body, right??? Is Schecter making them any more???

The Blue Wolf got it right, maple on mahagony. I want to make it a blues/hard rock machine as well. Instead of the Lindy Fralins I'm going with the Vintage Vibe P-90's. Those things are worth there price in gold, no pun intended.

• Members

My Tempest is actually a mahogony body with a mahogony top.

They do have a both a chambered and semi-hollow of the Tempest body. I've got the chambered one as well (the TSH-1). Nice enough guitar but replacing pickups for it is a bitch because they use a lipstick humbucker and I'm finding that no one makes a replacement pickup that will work in it.

It's wierd with the Tempests. The early Tempest Special is closer to the current Tempest Custom in that they both have the contoured body. The difference at this point being that the Specials used a P-90 and the Customs use a standard Humbucker and feature a coil tap on the tone knob. The current Tempest Special (inlcuding the Powerman 5000) are a flat top (no contour). There is also the Tempest Blackjack, which has seperate tone knobs for each pickup as well.

Archived