Just changed out the ceramic disk capacitors in my Elitist for polyester film

Sparky6string

• Members

It made a very noticeable difference. I felt before that the neck pickup was kinda dark and perhaps slightly muddy but this changed all that. The bridge pickup may be a little too bright now and I may end up changing that one back to the ceramic, not sure yet. The caps cost me just over a dollar so Elitist owners, you may just want to try this. :)

• Members

Did the cap change smooth out the bridge pup at all? My bridge pup is just a little "grainey" or something to that effect, obvious when compared to the 490/498's in my Gibsons. I've been wondering if it's the pups, or possibly the electronics.

BTW, I totally love my Elitist, it's become my favorite LP; fits me like a glove. It may undergo a pup change, though- especially the bridge.

• Members
Originally posted by Sparky6string

It made a very noticeable difference. I felt before that the neck pickup was kinda dark and perhaps slightly muddy but this changed all that. The bridge pickup may be a little too bright now and I may end up changing that one back to the ceramic, not sure yet. The caps cost me just over a dollar so Elitist owners, you may just want to try this.
:)

Are you sure you used the same value? The subtle difference that can be attributed to the capacitor type (between ceramic and polyester film) is swamped by the value of the cap and pot position.

If you feel the guitar is too bright you should try a higher cap value. Step and repeat until you've found your ideal sound. (Note: capacitors of these types are usually specified at +/-10% of their nominal value. Be aware of this when trying different values.)

cheers,
pw

• Members

Originally posted by powderfinger

Did the cap change smooth out the bridge pup at all? My bridge pup is just a little "grainey" or something to that effect, obvious when compared to the 490/498's in my Gibsons. I've been wondering if it's the pups, or possibly the electronics.

BTW, I totally love my Elitist, it's become my favorite LP; fits me like a glove. It may undergo a pup change, though- especially the bridge.

I haven't been able to spend enough time through the hustle and bustle of the holidays to know actually. I figure I'll give the new caps a little playing time in the next couple of days, enough time to judge them fairly.

• Members
Originally posted by pipedwho

Are you sure you used the same value? The subtle difference that can be attributed to the capacitor type (between ceramic and polyester film) is swamped by the value of the cap and pot position.

If you feel the guitar is too bright you should try a higher cap value. Step and repeat until you've found your ideal sound. (Note: capacitors of these types are usually specified at +/-10% of their nominal value. Be aware of this when trying different values.)

cheers,

pw

Yes both ceramic and poly are .022s. Polyester film capacitors are just brighter sounding than ceramic, something I've noticed in my amps as well. IMO the difference in sound may be somewhat subtle but definitely noticeable. A higher value cap is not really what I was going for since the brightness doesn't bother me as much as the other differences. :)

Archived