My Gretsch is Broke!!!

Lucas S.

• Members

Last night I plugged in my gretsch and went to adjust the volume, and the tone knob is loose. I'm not sure what has happened it feel like you could just spin the knob around and around. So obviously this sucks.

So my question is do I need to take it to a certified gretsch repairman(if there is such a thing)? I bought it at guitar center, but from what i've read that wouldn't be the place to take it. I've looked at it and I can't even Imagine how they can get to the knobs on the inside.

So basically I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks

Lucas S.

• Members

did you check to see if the set-screw on the knob was just loose? It could also just be that the pot nut is loose. (visible when you take the knob off). Check em both and careful you don't poke your eye out with that screwdriver :)

• Members

It's a common problem. The nut that secures the pot in place has simply backed off so now the pot will spin. Don't spin it or you'll rip the leads lose and then you'll have a much bigger problem.

If you can reach in the f-hole and secure the pot, the nut can be tightened with a pair of plyers. Of course you'll have to pull the knobs off first but you knew that. Don't go so tight that you crack the finish (which is why the mfg doesn't overtighten it in the first place) but just tight enough so it's snug.

Sometimes the pot is installed with a few threads beyond the nut exposed. If this is the case you can grab those threads with some needle-nose plyers and use a 2nd pair of plyers to snug the nut. Easy as pie.

It's entirely possible that this is something you have to do every so often. No biggie.

• Members

Originally posted by k4df4l

did you check to see if the set-screw on the knob was just loose? It could also just be that the pot nut is loose. (visible when you take the knob off). Check em both and careful you don't poke your eye out with that screwdriver
:)

D'oh! :freak:

I didn't think it might just be a loose knob. And he did say knob too, didn't he?

Disregard my first post. :D

• Members

This happened to me once. The knob spun and so did the pot and it pulled a wire loose from the tone pots which allowed my lead pickup to play in-phase. so all I could do was play out of phase.

I think there is a panel you can remove behind the knob and check that all the wires are still connected, if not, you can resolder it and you should be set.

If you're not sure, have a tech look at it. I had it repaired for a measly $10.

• Members

Originally posted by Lucas S.

Do the knobs just pull off? They seem like there on there pretty tight.

Lucas S.

many gretsch knobs are held on to the pot shaft by a set screw in the side of the knob...hence the suggestion to check if the set screw is snug. Splined pot shafts use press on knobs in general that pull off.

A tech could show you what's up and prb fix the issue in a few minutes for minimum cash. Possibly even free if you have thrown some business their way in the past.

Archived