P90 in bridge or neck?

thebert

• Members

axegrinder: I do want to change both. The guitar has 2 humbuckers in it right now (not very good ones) I want to put in a new humbucker sized P-90 and a humbucker. I'm going to put in GFS Dream 90 in the neck as of the last suggestion (unless someone gives me a reason to put one in the bridge position)

Now for the humbucker, what is a good humbucker from GFS that would go good with the P-90?

• Members

hondro: I was wondering about that too, I was thinking I would have more sound options with a P-90 and a humbucker, but i do already have a Gibson SG with humbuckers so would the better choice be for a pair of Dream 90s? Also whats the difference between the GFS dream 90s and the retrotron brooklyns? BTW I play mostly classic rock stuff.

• Members

Not sure why you want that configuration, but I'd go neck. I just bought some Dream 90s that are going into my Epi SG Special, so my kid can having something close to my guitar. The P90 sounds great for blues in the neck when clean or dirty and is absolutely brutal and dark with gain on it in the neck.

• Members

Originally posted by thebert

hondro: I was wondering about that too, I was thinking I would have more sound options with a P-90 and a humbucker, but i do already have a Gibson SG with humbuckers so would the better choice be for a pair of Dream 90s? Also whats the difference between the GFS dream 90s and the retrotron brooklyns? BTW I play mostly classic rock stuff.

off the top of my head (I don't own either:D) the humbucker sized p-90's are gonna sound a lot like p-90's (but not exactly like a REAL p-90) whereas the retrotron Brooklyns will sound more like a Dearmond pickup, so it'll sound very "Gretschy" (Vintage Gretsches were originally made in Brooklyn NY, until they were moved to Arkansas by Baldwin and later to Japan in the early 90s)

I would say go with the dream 90's

• Members

I don't know what a P90 sounds like when mixed with a HB. If the combo sounds like {censored}e as hondro suggested then your options are really NOT expanded by trying to have both sounds in one axe. I have heard of some around here mixing dream 90 and dream 180...perhaps you need more input from others before making your decision.

• Members

Originally posted by axegrinder

I don't know what a P90 sounds like when mixed with a HB. If the combo sounds like {censored}e as hondro suggested then your options are really NOT expanded by trying to have both sounds in one axe. I have heard of some around here mixing dream 90 and dream 180...perhaps you need more input from others before making your decision.

Hey, I never said it would sound like {censored}!!!!

I've never mixed a p-90 with a humbucker before, I'm just guessing that it would, what with the mixture of single coil and humbucker

it may sound good, humbuckers and Dream 90's have around the same ouput, but for the price of 2 dream 90's ($50), I'd say buy 2 of em and see if you like em:thu:

Archived