Subwoofer connection

• Members

I've been considering adding an active subwoofer to my BM6A rig for stereo mixing (no surround). I'm a little confused on how to best integrate the subwoofer.

I could connect the sub directly to an output of the interface, but I would lose an output, and I'd have to find a way to send my stereo mix to three outputs (instead of a stereo pair) and control them simultaneously.

Currently, I have a passive volume control between my interface and the BM6As. The volume control has two pairs of XLR outputs, but they are switchable. I can't use it as a splitter to send a line to the subwoofer, and even if I could, I could only send the left or the right input to the sub.

The solution Dynaudio suggests in the manual is to connect the sub to "the subwoofer output of your receiver." This is for a PRO AUDIO subwoofer, or so I thought. They're smoking some good crack in Denmark.

Any ideas?

• Members

You could split the output of R and L outs on your interface and combine them to one signal to send to your sub. That'd be a cheap, redneck solution.

IIRC, The reason Dynaudio recommends hooking the sub up to a receiver is because their powered subs can also be used as LFE's in a surround environment; they aren't smoking crack--they are trying to be consumer-friendly. :)

• Members

The goal is to integrate the subwoofer properly with the main speakers using a crossover.

Some subwoofers have this already - which subwoofer do you plan to use? The subwoofer will have 2-6 XLR inputs with corresponding outputs. It will apply a low pass filter to the subwoofer output, which combines the main channels into one. The main speaker outputs will have corresponding high pass filters.

There are also external crossovers that can do this if the subwoofer does not have this feature. The subwoofer output of a consumer receiver usually has this crossover feature in its bass management circuit.

• Members

IF you just use an output from your interface there will be no way to bass mange your levels. You will be going only on what sounds good, and not whats accurate. You need a crossover of some sort. Your sub might have one. If not, you'll need to get one before you can use a sub.

• Members

Just a clarification:

If you are looking at dynaudio's powered subs...all you have to do is hook your interface outs into the sub, then go from the sub to your BM 6a's--you will not lose your stereo image as the sub has separate L and R outs.

Some powered "subs/LFE's" (especially consumer models) do offer a volume control. I misread that he didn't already have the sub, either. Good luck.

• Members

Originally posted by jasps

Just a clarification:

If you are looking at dynaudio's powered subs...all you have to do is hook your interface outs into the sub, then go from the sub to your BM 6a's--you will not lose your stereo image as the sub has separate L and R outs.

OK, that's much more straightforward! I didn't realize that the Dyn subs had ins and outs that essentially do the splitting for you. It's funny that this isn't provided as a connection option in the manual.

Archived