Warmoth

MattACaster

• Members

I've built two Warmoth Strats.

If you're not wanting specific features that you can't get from Fender, then getting a Fender is cheaper (especially if you have Warmoth do the finish).

Both of my guitars have custom shaped unfinished necks with compound radius fretboards, one of them has stainless steel frets, one has Kinman pickups, both have a master volume/master tone knob. One has a Wilkinson trem, Schaller locking tuners, LSR rollernut, and roller string trees, the other is an Original Floyd Rose with Schaller mini tuners. Basically, a few of those things aren't available from Fender, and things like the pickups and pickguard, I'd have to buy new pickups and pickguards to get what I wanted and then hope to sell the Fender ones to cover the cost.

Anyway, as far as the guitars themselves, I love them. They are my #1 and #2 guitars. They have caused my PRS and Wolfgangs to gather a lot of dust.

The orange one cost about $1000 including the case, and the quilted one cost about $1200 including the case. Both bodies were finished by Warmoth.

BothWarmoths6.jpg

BothWarmoths1.jpg

BothWarmoths1.jpg

• Members
Originally posted by Prages

I've built two Warmoth Strats.

If you're not wanting specific features that you can't get from Fender, then getting a Fender is cheaper (especially if you have Warmoth do the finish).

Both of my guitars have custom shaped unfinished necks with compound radius fretboards, one of them has stainless steel frets, one has Kinman pickups, both have a master volume/master tone knob. One has a Wilkinson trem, Schaller locking tuners, LSR rollernut, and roller string trees, the other is an Original Floyd Rose with Schaller mini tuners. Basically, a few of those things aren't available from Fender, and things like the pickups and pickguard, I'd have to buy new pickups and pickguards to get what I wanted and then hope to sell the Fender ones to cover the cost.

Anyway, as far as the guitars themselves, I love them. They are my #1 and #2 guitars. They have caused my PRS and Wolfgangs to gather a lot of dust.

The orange one cost about $1000 including the case, and the quilted one cost about $1200 including the case. Both bodies were finished by Warmoth.

BothWarmoths6.jpg

BothWarmoths1.jpg

BothWarmoths1.jpg

How hard were they to put together?

• Members

for strat or tele i'd recomend buying a body and neck from somewhere else. it might not be quite as good craftsmanship but it would be much better value. Warmoth is best for their non-fenderish stuff because you can find all the fender shapes from other places like all-parts, wdmusic, or about 200 other manufactures on ebay

• Members

If you're just building a 'basic' strat or tele, Warmoth is too expensive - you can get a guitar that plays and sounds just as good, with much better resale, if you buy a used Fender.

If you want the experience of putting together a strat or tele, buy a saga kit (search ebay) - they're MUCH cheaper, you can improve the hardware, and they're great 'craft' projects.

The middle option between saga and warmoth is to search ebay for parts. I'm assembling a baritone stratocaster, and will have a complete guitar for under $600... I bought the neck from Warmoth, but all other parts are from ebay, and the cost is significantly less...

Warmoth is great if you want to do something a little more unusual - tele bridge and flying vee neck on a les paul body, etc... but if you're just building another strat or tele, it's not worth it...

• Members

Originally posted by guitarmook

If you're just building a 'basic' strat or tele, Warmoth is too expensive - you can get a guitar that plays and sounds just as good, with much better resale, if you buy a used Fender.

If you want the experience of putting together a strat or tele, buy a saga kit (search ebay) - they're MUCH cheaper, you can improve the hardware, and they're great 'craft' projects.

The middle option between saga and warmoth is to search ebay for parts. I'm assembling a baritone stratocaster, and will have a complete guitar for under $600... I bought the neck from Warmoth, but all other parts are from ebay, and the cost is significantly less...

Warmoth is great if you want to do something a little more unusual - tele bridge and flying vee neck on a les paul body, etc... but if you're just building another strat or tele, it's not worth it...

I see what your saying. The basic idea is that I want a Strat or Tele that can stand up to my Americans but a little more individual than the ones you can by off the rack. Something that is "mine". I like the idea of Warmoth because I can avoid having to deal with eBay and I can buy everything from one place at one time.

Any other good online places that sell non-crap parts?

• Members
Originally posted by MattACaster

I see what your saying. The basic idea is that I want a Strat or Tele that can stand up to my Americans but a little more individual than the ones you can by off the rack. Something that is "mine". I like the idea of Warmoth because I can avoid having to deal with eBay and I can buy everything from one place at one time.

theres www.stewmac.com

Carvin sells a kit that's the same as their Bolt model

• Members

http://www.monstertoneguitars.com

:o

• Members

Originally posted by FlyingBloodyFrogBiscuit

It depends but to build the Tele I wanted it was going to cost at least $1000. That's Ash body, rosewood fretboard, Kent Armstrong pickups.

It will be cheaper if you finish the body and neck yourself.

any particular finish on that ash body? I can probably get you all of the parts you need for quite a bit cheaper thru WD Music.

• Members

www.usacustomguitars.com

A pleasure to deal with - I got one fantastic neck from them with very picky/particular specs for about $210. I like it so much, I'll be getting another from them soon. Their fretwork is great, no "finishing work" required on their frets - many other vendors need a little fret leveling or crowning done.

Archived