Can you put humbuckers in a PRS McCarty Soapbar?

Shellshock

• Members

Originally posted by axegrinder

a question, "Why?"

a recommendation, "Don't."

+1

You will kill the value. You can find some Soapbar sized humbuckers to put in there, but not putting some regular sized HBs in would require routing.

Dude, if its not the guitar for you, just don't do it. Pretty simple. A Soapbar/P90 guitar is not for everybody, but they are great at what they do.

And why a Jazz?? Come on, be more inventive than that!

• Members

There are some mini HBs and Alumitone pickups that are sized to fit, but If you want something else try and sell your guitar and get one with HB routing instead. It would be a pitty to damage that axe of yours for the sake of tone.

Just a while ago there was somebody that wanted to go the other way around, HB to P-90 and that process isn't that hard thanx to the P-94 style pickups available.

Edit: oh, you haven't bought it yet... If the PRS SB pickups don't tickle your fanny maybe SB pickups from another manufacturer would. SB really has a great stature to them that shouldn't be dismissed per automatique.

• Members

Originally posted by curseoftruth

Dude, if its not the guitar for you, just don't do it. Pretty simple. A Soapbar/P90 guitar is not for everybody, but they are great at what they do.

I think you might be right on this one...

I usually play Rock, Hard Rock, and some early Metal

Sabbath

Rush

Van Halen

UFO

• Members

Originally posted by Shellshock

I think you might be right on this one...

I usually play Rock, Hard Rock, and some early Metal

Sabbath

Rush

Van Halen

UFO

I think it could do some of that piece of cake. Take a listen to this Gibby SG with P-90s http://www.gibson.com/Files/Downloads/Sounds/SGClassic1.mp3 this would give you some idea of what it does.

Archived