Switching from heavy to light strings - Nut slots too wide a problem?

SpliffyJonez

• Members

I recently switched to 12-52 strings and had nut slots widened on 5 of my guitars. Now I'm switching to 9-42's and the slots on the nuts are wider than most strings.

Do too-wide nut slots cause increased buzzing or decrease in sustain?

I notice that the lighter strings buzz more than the heavier ones, which is to be expected, but I don't know if they buzz more than

before the widening of the nut slots.

• Members

Originally posted by SpliffyJonez

Do too-wide nut slots cause increased buzzing or decrease in sustain?

On a guitar that's had its nut widened to take 12s - I would certainly expect 9s to buzz when the strings are played open, and perhaps also to lack sustain (energy's being lost as they vibrate inside and past the nut).

In terms of fretted notes, increased buzzing would more likely be a result of your guitar having been previously set up for 12s (was it?). Have you slackened the truss rod a bit since fitting the 9s, to give a little more relief? You may even need to increase your string height a little with 9s, the slacker strings will have a wider circle of vibration.

Why the big jump from 12s to 9s anyway? I agree with the guy who suggested you try putting 10s on there. Otherwise, you may be looking at a new nut. Plus - 9s are toneless anyway (JMO) ;).

Archived