PRS vs. LP

gorillamania

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by kdp86

I can't believe this many people like PRS over Gibson. They just sound so cheap to me, like an Ibanez or something. No richness or warmth to the tone.

You need to hear both of mine.

I always get compliments on my tone at shows. :thu:

They make every Gibson i've ever owned sound cheap.

• Members

Originally posted by BillyCorgan

You need to hear both of mine.

I always get compliments on my tone at shows.
:thu:
They make every Gibson i've ever owned sound cheap.

I get compliments on my Ibanez RG at shows too. It really doesnt make a difference, few people will come up to you at a show and tell you "man your tone sucks!". Thats not a good gauge of tone quality. Not that I dont like the tone of PRS, just saying:wave:

• Members

Originally posted by Alchemist

I get compliments on my Ibanez RG at shows too. It really doesnt make a difference, few people will come up to you at a show and tell you "man your tone sucks!". Thats not a good gauge of tone quality. Not that I dont like the tone of PRS, just saying:wave:

What if they're like this: :eek:

..and saying: What in the world kinda amp do you use?!

• Members

Originally posted by BillyCorgan

What if they're like this:
:eek:
..and saying: What in the world kinda amp do you use?!

lol then its mostly the amp:D besides guitars and pickups only go so far anyway, the biggest factor at live shows is amp, PA, and the overall mix, as well as how the room handles sound, natural reverb etc...

I've seen shows where guys used cheapo LP knockoffs but had killer tone running through good amps and having a smart sound guy.... then again I have also seen shows with guys using nice PRS, LP customs, ES335's who sounded like crap because things just werent ballanced properly to the room and the mix...

best gauge for tone is your own ears, just gotta sit down somewhere quiet with a good amp, little effects (just some natural overdrive and reverb)... and then A/B the two and see which is best to your ears:)

• Members

I dont like PRS...they sound cheap to me. Too thin and not enough girth. Id take my SG or Les Paul anyday of the week. The QC ranting is BS IMO...people who are just stuck in what they think were the "glory" days of guitar making. People complain about how crappy the QC is when they get them, but ive never experienced this. Id like someone to take a pic of these so called "QC" issues that they say Gibson has these days, cause ive never seen em and Im curious about what it is they are talking about. :rolleyes:

• Members

Originally posted by justOKplayer

DSCF1278.jpg
With this guitar I stood up next to a mountain and chopped it down with the edge of my hand.

It's an '87 CE-24

Once I saw the maple neck I bought it, I never even plugged it in until I got home. One of the best guitars I've ever owned:thu:

• Members

It's an '87 CE-24

Once I saw the maple neck I bought it, I never even plugged it in until I got home. One of the best guitars I've ever owned:thu:

wow, that looks great. I dont usually like the PRS look much.

Have you got any more shots?

• Members

MY PRS CAN WHIP YOUR gibson ANY DAY OF THE WEEK:mad:

I'm no pro, but the two Gibsons I have are flawless.

My "92" LP Studio w/Ebony fretboard is still perfect after 14 years, and my SG Classic came as flawless as possible. Everything on this guitar is perfect.

Maybe I just got lucky, but I have nothing but praise for Gibson.

So much so that I'm considering a "58" Reissue LP.

The Bear

• Members

Just picked up a '58 reissue (about an hour ago!) and it simply rocks. Deeper than the standards I've owned and a bit more nasal. That being said, the next big purchase will be a PRS just because it's such a fine guitar to have in the arsenal. Thinking maybe a singlecut since I have owned three McCarty's in the past and always end up selling them. But there is a reason I've bought three of 'em I suppose...

For that Santana-type smooth lead tone you really can't beat the PRS's. They also feel like a Lincoln Town car when you pick 'em up--just impeccable workmanship--almost plush. But for that "KERRANGG", the LP still rules the roost in my book.

• Members

Originally posted by The Bear

I'm no pro, but the two Gibsons I have are flawless.

My "92" LP Studio w/Ebony fretboard is still perfect after 14 years, and my SG Classic came as flawless as possible. Everything on this guitar is perfect.

Maybe I just got lucky, but I have nothing but praise for Gibson.

So much so that I'm considering a "58" Reissue LP.

The Bear

I have a 92 studio with ebony f/b as well. Its my number one guitar. Prefer it over my Standard

• Members

310905-R1-01-2A_edited.jpg

the only thing i liked about gibson over a PRS is the quality of the tops..with prs you have a reg top and a 10 top (mine was not a 10 top) and you have to spend an extra, what $200 to get the 10 top .. and with the gibson y ou dont have to make that choice..and i did like being able to turn off the neck pickup and use the toggle switch for the machine gun effect , can you do that with a PRS? only way i can think of is if you had the switch wired for the neck/bridge, no middle position..can this be done?? not to get off the subject

• Members

Originally posted by kdp86

I can't believe this many people like PRS over Gibson. They just sound so cheap to me, like an Ibanez or something. No richness or warmth to the tone.

That's cause they use lousy pickups. Throw some good PAF types into a mcCarty and behold...

Archived